I posted a small cry for help on twitter the other day regarding bronzers. I took a break from buying new ones last summer because… well… here is a portion of the ones I own:

Bronzer Mania

Included in this group: Dior Aurora, Estee Lauder Sea Star Bronzing Blush, Too Face Chocolate Soleil, Too Faced Aqua Bunny, Chanel Soleil tan de Chanel, Giorgio Armani Bronze Mania #1, MAC Give Me Sun, MAC So Ceylon, Tarte Park Ave Princess, Tarte Amazonian Clay Bronzing Powder, Physician’s Formula Cashmere, Sonia Kashuk Illuminating Bronzer, Givenchy Bonne Mine, Mark Pro Bronze, Bourjois Delice de Poudre in #52 and #14

As you can see, I have tried numerous formulations, brands, textures and colors. Below is a swatch of a few selected shades featured above:

Bronzer Swatches

Swatches L-R: MAC Give Me Sun, Giorgio Armani #1, Mark Pro Bronze, Bourjois #52, Bourjois #14, Benefit Hoola, Too Faced Chocolate Soleil

Of the above, my favorites are definitely Give Me Sun, Mark Pro Bronze and the Giorgio Armani. All three have a great texture, give a slightly different tone to the skin (depending on the season) and have excellent lasting power. The Mark Pro Bronze has given me the most mileage with hardly a dent and it was literally the only bronzer I used from May to December last year. I started getting bored with it recently and was looking through my stash for something different. But, nothing is really popping out at me in terms of my next go-to shade. Also worth mentioning is that I loathe Benefit Hoola. It looks way too ashy on me and actually makes me look quite dirty in the face as opposed to glowing. Yeah, yuck.

Which brings me to this post. What bronzer do you use the most? Are there any you highly recommend I try? My wishlist at the moment looks something like this:

Bronzer Wishlist

Guerlain Terracotta Four Seasons Bronzer, Clarins Splendours Summer Bronzing Compact, Edward Bess Daydream, Dior Nude Tan Healthy Glow, Dolce & Gabbana The Bronzer

I have heard so many people rave about the Edward Bess Bronzer, and I am admittedly smitten with the two face products I have already purchased from his line (Quad Royale in Monte Carlo and South of France). The Clarins bronzer looks amazing but I am uncertain of two things: the color and if it will be released in the U.S. The reviews I have seen never show swatches and have been exclusively UK blogs. What gives??? I have also heard plenty of good things about the Guerlain and Dior offerings and have recently fallen in love with Dolce & Gabbana makeup.

So the big question is…what bronzer do I need next? I am actually looking for drugstore/mid range and  high end recommendations as I’d like to get two new shades. I’m looking for a powder formula and something mostly matte or completely matte.

Thank you for your help!!!! :)

16 Responses to “HELP! Desperately Seeking Bronzer”

1. I love the colour of the Giorgio Armani one swatched above, but it looks a little shimmery for me. I’m currently using Bahama Mama from TheBalm as my everyday bronzer, and it’s the least orange one I’ve found so far. It has a tiny bit of shimmer, but it doesn’t show up at all when you put it on. HTH!

2. Painted Lady says:

Tarte’s Amazonian Clay Annatto Body Bronzer is absolutely beautiful and stunning! I love using it on my body and face, it is seriously gorgeous. Not to mention, it’s huge. I am also loving NAR’s Laguna. It’s going to be summer soon, and so many gorgeous one’s are coming out! I’m sure you’ll find one you love!

3. Charlie says:

I like the Rouge Bunny rouge powder one and Givenchy prism one

4. Annick says:

I LOVE the Dior Nude bronzer I own. It’s texture is soft and amazing. I love how it blends too – and there’s many shades to choose from!

5. What about Nars laguna?

6. grlnxdor says:

I like Nars Laguna. I’m a NC15 and I apply it lightly.

7. Alison M says:

Have you tried theBalm Bahama Mama? It’s matte and very yellow-toned compared to the more orange swatches above. I like it a lot for contouring, not as much for glow. If I want to do a sun-kissed look, I opt for shimmer instead. Also, Sonia Kashuk has two creme bronzers this spring. I’ve been on the look out, but haven’t seen them yet. I really want to try them, especially under foundation for a more glowing bronze.

8. Sunny says:

Whoa you’ve got quite a bronzer collection (that’s an understatement lol)! I’ve only tried the Guerlain one on your wish list. The artist (the Guerlain head artist for Benelux/Belgium) chose the lightest shade for me. I was a little surprised (OK I am a bit pale now but surely I can’t be one of the palest?), but the result was SO amazingly natural! I’m pretty sold and I’m not even big on bronzers!

9. You have to try the Guerlain 4 saisons bronzer, it is the absolute best !

10. I have a thing for bronzers too and I own 5 from Collistar which are seriously fab! The clarins duo bronzer is also quite lovely, but If I would have to pick one to use it would be a collistar.

11. For a drugstore bronzer NYC’s Sunny is terrific. I’m kindof astounded every time I use it that I like it so much because I had really low expectations given the packaging and the price.

12. Latoya says:

Ah….I won’t be much help here Danielle, goodness knows I know next to nothing about bronzers! But I have had my eye on the Dior ones for a while since they come in deeper shades – I’d love to try the Guerlain ones but they’re too fragranced for me! I think all the ones you picked would be lovely :)

13. Jaye Brown says:

NARS Laguna is my go-to favorite. It goes on light and does just what I need it to do whether contouring or just adding a little glow. I’d kind of sworn off bronzer until I started using it.

14. i love the guerlain one! that is probably my favorite? i like last summer’s guerlain/pucci bronzer! I also have the givenchy and too faced ones which I like.

15. I’ve been really into bronzers the last few months.. and some of the ones I really enjoy are korres monoi bronzer, smashbox matte bronzer which is so nice for contouring, d&g the animaliar bronzer which is LE but so totally natural looking . And finally the tom ford bronzer in gold dust.. I love it.. it gives such a beautiful natural summer glow