I cannot believe I’m already saying this: Bloomin’ Beauty has turned two!
Aside from inserting the expected pink fireworks (call me corny; I couldn’t resist), I wanted to say a HUGE thank you to each and every one of you. This second year of blogging saw some major changes: my first Youtube video, a major move to a different state and all of the changes that entailed and several weeks at a time of no posts. I know it hasn’t been easy to stick with me when I don’t post or tweet regularly and the fact that I have had to all but abandon commenting other blogs (I usually read posts on my iPhone now- but I assure you- I am still reading) that I love. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate everyone who has supported me; continued to visit my site, link to me, email me, tweet me, etc. It’s truly inspiring and uplifting. As I enter this third year of blogging I wanted to share with you some advice, and some of the favorite posts I have done along the way- including reader favorites, the posts that have gotten the most traffic in the last two years.
First, a few things I have learned. (I’m not an expert at blogging and it’s something I do as a hobby, so keep that in mind. All of this is based on my personal and individual experience)
- It’s not a race to the finish line; it’s about consistency and quality. I say that tongue-in-cheek because if there’s one thing I haven’t been over the last 4 months it’s consistent. However, before I made some serious life changes (all for the better!) I was consistent in how frequently I tweeted and posted, and the format in which I did. It’s important not to over-commit yourself to a level that you cannot sustain. I prefer quality over quantity any day of the week.
- Make blogger friends, and keep them. Not in the hostage kind of way, but keep them close to you. It’s nice to have that virtual support system. Readers are great, some of them will come and go but generally the people you bond with and become personally invested in will stick with you through your highs and your lows.
- Ignore the hate. Someone will almost always be jealous of you. Whether you appear to have a more successful blog, they don’t like the way you look, they think you spend more money, etc. someone will always have something to say about it. Ignore it. Don’t engage people like that. They are toxic; not just to a thriving site but to your personal psyche. If you receive one of those tweets/comments/emails- do what I do: hit the delete/block button and move on. And smile when you do.
- Trust your instincts. The only times I seem to regret anything, not just in blogging but in life in general is when I haven’t trusted my own instincts. They call them “gut feelings” for a reason. No one knows you better than you know yourself.
- Most importantly: HAVE FUN. When it stops being fun it’s no longer worth spending your time on. We all live in a world of scarcity. That applies to both time and money. We all have limited amounts of both. You can always make more money, but you cannot replace lost time. Once it’s gone, it’s gone forever.
Now, on to the good stuff. Here are the posts that have received the most traffic since I started my blog on Dec. 9th, 2010. (these are in order of highest traffic received to date)
- Revlon Lip Butters: This was a post I did with all of Revlon Lip Butters I had purchased back in November last year. I still enjoy the picture of all of the tubes! It remains my number 1 most viewed post of all time and frequently ranks in my weekly traffic a year later.
- Battle of the Blush: Peach/Orange/Coral Edition: Of course I would myself love any post that included that in the title, being the blush fiend that I am. It’s interesting that this ranks higher than a post I did more recently with better swatches and in pan comparisons. Whatever works
- Milani Baked Blushes: I admit I sometimes cringe a little when I view my older posts. Though I think the content is still good, I view it with an ever-critical eye. The swatches in this post are messy and I want to go all Monk and straighten them out. However, the swatches are still fairly clear and obviously popular enough to rank as #3.
- MAC Naturally & Iris Apfel Part 2: It doesn’t surprise me at all when MAC makes it in my top posts. It’s a popular brand that’s usually in high demand- especially with comparison swatches.
- MAC Tres Cheek Swatches & Comparisons: I was happy to see this post in my top 5. I spent an insane amount of work getting all of the blushes and comparisons swatches done. The high traffic is a symbolic high five for all of the effort.
Now that I have shared my top 5 traffic posts, I’d thought I’d share my personal top 5 favorite posts. Believe me, this wasn’t easy!
Number 5: NARS Mandchourie- This post is solidified in my top 5 because the eye look I created with the duo is one of my all-time favorites.
Number 4: Becca Shimmering Skin Perfectors- The reason this post ranks high for me is again because of the level of time it took for swatches but secondarily because I love looking at so many pretty highlighters in one place!
Number 3: Tango With Tangerine- It was Pantone’s color of the year in 2012 and I loved doing this color palette post.
Number 2: The Look for Less- Dupe posts are some of my favorite posts to photograph and write, especially when the dupe is from the drugstore or significantly lower in price.
And…. *drumroll* my Number 1 favorite post of all time….
Burberry Eyeshadow Collection- Comparisons and swatches galore this is probably the most comprehensive post I have done to date. I still enjoy referencing the swatches when I’m trying to remember how close a color is to another. It features most of my favorite brands for eyeshadows, including Rouge Bunny Rouge and of course, Burberry!
I hope you enjoyed these posts as much as I enjoyed making them!
To make it just a *little* more interesting I thought I’d also share some of my most favorite products of all time. I thought long and hard about what I would be really torn up about not having in my collection. As in, you go to look for something and suddenly it’s disappeared! Here is what I would desperately miss:
Guerlain’s limited edition Parure de Nuit Pressed Powder (the peacock design!!!) It adds the most ethereal “lit from within” glow to the skin. I admit I got it for the peacock design- incidentally peacocks are my favorite bird and the current wallpaper on my phone
My love for these shadows has my collection about 22 shades strong- this one is probably my most favorite shade.
Sadly, also limited edition, the Ombres Perlees de Chanel palette is one of the best ever created in my opinion. The shimmer and the creamy/buttery texture has never been duplicated in any other palette I have tried.
The entire line of the Tarte Amazonian Clay Blushes. I believe I own every shade ever made- and that’s not a feat I have accomplished with any other brand or type of blush. My favorite.
One of the prettiest packaging designs and amazing color combination palettes ever. 2 years later it’s still a top pick for me.
Estee Lauder Modern Mercury- I missed out on this elusive highlighter when it initially launched but was able to obtain by swap later on. Amazing and I wish it was permanent.
Burberry is probably my top brand for designer beauty. The packaging and formulas are top notch and the colors are all wearable. The lip mist in Feather Pink is one of my most used lipsticks of all time.
NARS Mexican Rose Lip Pencil is probably one of the best bright lippies I own. Long-wearing, comfortable and highly pigmented. The entire Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil range is not to be missed.
Burberry’s Rosewood eyeshadow is one not to be missed. It was the first shade I owned and spawned a huge addiction for me.
My collection has grown since Urban Decay has released more shades, but their 24-7 liner is something I reach for on a weekly, if not daily basis. It lasts the whole day on my lids and they are constantly coming out with unique shades.
Zoya FeiFei polish surprised me. It’s sparkle factor cannot be denied, and it’s color-changing properties are some of the best I’ve ever seen in a polish. My other top polish pick was Butter London All Hail the Queen, but for some reason I don’t have a picture of a swatch…I must never have featured it individually! For shame. The formula and color are pure perfection.
I could go on and on….I have so many favorites but I think I need to stop here. I want to say thank you again to everyone who has made the last two years of blogging something I have enjoyed immensely, and hope to have many more of in the future. Look out for a giveaway in the next week, as well as my 2012 favorites! Cheers!