About a year ago I got bitten by the Burberry bug. Their beauty line appeals to every aspect of my own personal taste. The weighty packaging, the more natural shade selection, the “build it up or sheer it down” approach and of course, the etching in the pans or tubes. They are pricey; there’s no denying that. Compared to Chanel single shadows, though, you get more bang for your buck (Burberry weighs 2.5 grams while Chanel has 2 grams), the powder is more finely milled and the packaging is a significant upgrade. I have reviewed several shades of the Burberry line up in the past (just search Burberry in the right side bar and you will find them) but I wanted to do a comprehensive post of the 11 shades I own thus far. It’s not the fact that the name ‘Burberry’ is on it, either. You could slap any name on the front of these and change nothing else and I would still love them.

I don’t want this to be a words post as much as a visual one. As I said above I’ve already reviewed this formula and it’s obvious that I enjoy love am obsessed with them. This is meant to be a reference point. I scoured my collection for shades I thought might be similar, some I threw in because they are popular and someone might want to know. Others may be similar in tone but not in finish, etc. The real point is that most of us have to order our Burberry products online and have to try to gauge the color or tone and if we will like it. Hopefully this will help if you own some of the shades I’m showing and can then determine if something will work for you based on a comparison view. Enjoy!

Burberry Pearl White 01 (this is the only shade that you won’t see side by side in-pan comparisons of because two of the shades I used are in large palettes)

Swatches L-R: Chanel Illusion d’Ombre Fantasme, TheBalm The Stock Broker, TheBalm Envious Erin, Burberry Pearl White

Pearl White is the easiest to use on the brow bone because it isn’t frosty or glittery. The textures on of the all shades are stellar.

Burberry Trench 02 and MAC Brule (top) and Blanc Type (bottom) Not pictured is the Urban Decay Naked 2 palette.

Swatches L-R: UD Foxy, MAC Blanc Type, Burberry Trench, MAC Brule

Brule is closest but you can see Trench just melts into my skin tone. Foxy is my least favorite of the group in terms of formula (not as pigmented, kind of patchy)

Burberry Porcelain 03 with MAC Ricepaper and Inglot Pearl #393

Swatches L-R: MAC Ricepaper, Burberry Porcelain, Inglot #393

Ricepaper isn’t even close and #393 is more shimmery and more gold. All three have excellent formulas.

Burberry Gold Trench 04 with Le Metier de Beaute JoJo and MAC Soba

Swatches L-R LMdB JoJo, Burberry Gold Trench, MAC Soba

Again all formulas here are very nice and blend well. They are all quite different, but along the same color vein.

Burberry Chestnut 05 with MAC Brown Down and MAC Swiss Chocolate

Swatches L-R: MAC Brown Down, Burberry Chestnut, MAC Swiss Chocolate

Chestnut has a sheen the others lack but all three are buttery smooth. They all have a red undertone to them as well, Swiss Chocolate more so than the others.

Burberry Almond 06 with MAC Cork and Inglot Matte #360 (I’m not sure what happened here but everything is showing a bit more cool toned than they are and #360 is darker in real life than it’s appearing in the pan)

Swatches L-R: MAC Cork, Burberry Almond, Inglot #360

The swatches accurately portray how these look in real life, at least on my skin tone. Cork is the warmest of the three and Almond has that slight sheen/glow to it.

Burberry Taupe Brown 07 with Chanel Taupe Gris, MAC Brun, MAC Mystery and the bottom most shade from the Guerlain Les Fumes palette

Swatches L-R: Chanel Taupe Gris, MAC Mystery, Burberry Taupe Brown, MAC Brun, Guerlain Les Fumes

All of these are lovely, but the Guerlain shade is the most patchy/difficult to work with. Taupe Gris is very similar but has shimmer. Brun is kind of close but definitely has more brown.

Burberry Khaki 08 with Sunday Riley Fool’s Gold, MAC Flourishing, Rouge Bunny Rouge Abyssinian Catbird, Lancome Erika F

Swatches L-R: Sunday Riley Fool’s Gold, Lancome Erika F, Burberry Khaki, MAC Flourishing, RBR Abyssinian Catbird

The only one that comes close is Abyssinian Catbird, but only in general undertones. I struggled to find a shade that was close and looked through a number of palettes and brands but these were the best I could find. Erika F and Fool’s Gold are drier textures but the others are incredibly velvety.

Burberry Rosewood 09 with NARS Lhasa, MAC Satin Taupe, Rouge Bunny Rouge Solstice Halcyon, Rouge Bunny Rouge Bohemian Waxwing, Chanel Fauve (the shades in pan are slightly more washed out and are darker in real life)

Swatches L-R: Chanel Fauve, NARS Lhasa, MAC Satin Taupe, Burberry Rosewood, RBR Solstice Halcyon, RBR Bohemian Waxwing

I would classify all of them in the taupe family which is why this selection of shades is one of my top in the this post. I can’t find fault with any of the formulas so it’s just a matter of shade preference which one (or ones) you should get. Solstice Halcyon and Rosewood are closest.

Burberry Midnight Brown 21 with Le Metier de Beaute Corinthian, MAC Satin Taupe, Rouge Bunny Rouge Bohemian Waxwing, Rouge Bunny Rouge Delicate Hummingbird

Swatches L-R: RBR Delicate Hummingbird, MAC Satin Taupe, LMdB Corinthian, Burberry Midnight Brown, RBR Bohemian Waxwing

This is the other set of shades that rivals for the top. I love each of these shadows. The textures are absolute butter and the variations on taupe are divine. Midnight Brown is the most brown of the group and the darkest.

Burberry Pale Barley 22 with Becca Tussah, MAC Patina, MAC Jaunty, NARS Rajasthan Duo (gold side) and Chanel Safari

Swatches L-R: NARS Rajasthan Gold shade, Chanel Safari, MAC Patina, Burberry Pale Barley, MAC Jaunty, Becca Tussah

Pale Barley is most similar to Tussah, but Tussah is drier and less pigmented. Jaunty is a good alternative but is limited edition and it’s lighter. Safari is also a drier texture (as most Chanel singles are).

*whew* As you can imagine this post was pretty labor-intensive but I hope it was worth it! This is definitely the most comprehensive comparison post I have ever done. It was nice to see that so many of the Burberry shadows are actually quite unique. What’s next for me? I don’t have any other shades that are urgently calling to me but there is a rosy shade and a lavender shade I wouldn’t mind owning. :)

67 Responses to “Burberry Eyeshadow Collection: Comparisons, Swatches, Breakdown”

1. Beth Hardy says:

Your research is always exhaustive! Awesome post. And glad to hear Nordies will continue carrying Burberry. I ordered a l/s and pale barley. That brown color was the other contender….hmmmm….

2. Fantastic comparison post! I own Trench (love it – favorite highlight shade, I’m wearing it right now), Pale Barley, and Midnight Brown. All the Burberrys are so lovely!

On another note, think I need to pick up MAC Patina – it’s gorgeous!

3. annick says:

Pale Barley is absolutely DROOL worthy. I need this one for sure!! Thanks for the incredible swatches! They always help me make a decision ;)

4. Lisa says:

Wow, this is great! Thanks for doing all this work; it’ll really help me choose one!

5. Gosh Danielle EVERY beauty blogger has to salute you for all the effort! I’ve been interested in Burberry too, but the distribution is very limited and so far I just haven’t done enough research to know what I really want. This post does help tremendously!

6. Delyteful Speaks says:

Oh no u didn’t!! When did your collection of burberry eye shadows grow this big?!

Your swatches are amaaazing!! Thank you so much for them! They’re so helpful and they totally made me want Almond =P

Ahh! *I did* :) I sort of became obsessed after Rosewood, and well. This happened. lol. Almond is perfection with Pale Barley!

7. Rebecca says:

Great swatches! I’ve just now gotten the Burberry fever. I guess when it came out I didn’t think much of it, but now I’m obsessed with Googling shades. :) I’m this — close to making the first order.

8. Laura says:

Great Post.:) I’m heading on holidays to Manchester next month so I’m hoping to pick up some of these shadows. We can’t get them in Ireland yet xx

9. Alison M says:

Posts like this are truly a public service and well worth it :) I love side by side comparisons to help determine exactly what it is I’m looking for. I’ve been to your blog a number of times over the last year to narrow down exactly what shade I’m looking for in a color family. It’s like an online swatch encyclopedia. Love! Awesome job, Danielle!

Alison, I can always count on you for the most thoughtful and heartfelt comments on my blog and for that I will be forever grateful! <3

10. I am seriously so impressed with the amount of work you put into your comparison posts. You’re incredible, Danielle! :)

11. Lily says:

Thank you for the comparisons! So much effort put into this post. Very helpful indeed, especially for someone like me who haven’t ventured into this brand yet. Thanks again!

Love love love love! Nordstroms better get their act together so I can buy the rest of the shadows I have on my wish list … especially after this post!

13. Tanya G says:

Wow, all of these shades are so gorgeous. Pale barley and rosewood look like shades I would wear constantly. Great post!

14. Wow girl! You got all the great neutrals from the line! Now you need the lavender one. :)

Wow, most of the Burberry shades are my faves of the swatches! Thanks for this, you’ve made my lemming that much stronger!

This is amazing, Danielle! I really want some of these because they’re stunning neutrals, and now I know which to pick! :D

17. Anna says:

Danielle,
    that was such a great comparison post. Thank you for taking the time and swatching and photographing everything. This post makes me want some Burberry eyeshadows as well as Rouge Bunny Rouge and Le Metier de Beaute.

18. BooBooNinja says:

Thank you a hundred times over, Danielle!
    How did you know this is exactly what I wanted when I didn’t realise it myself until I saw your post? This is incredibly informative!

19. Clitia Lima says:

Hello I enjoyed your post.
    I am a follower if you can give back I’ll be very happy = D

S going down a lot there on my blog:

I’m from Brazil
    bjuss

Thank you for visiting! I did visit your blog and you have some lovely posts- love those earrings! I did have to edit the link out of your post, however. I unfortunately don’t allow links to be posted in the comments section.

20. Katherine says:

What a fantastic post! This is very helpful, though it has completely justified a Pale Barley purchase in my mind. :)

21. oh wow! I’m a little jealous of your Burberry eyeshadow collection! I recently fell in love with Burberry and after 2 cheek products and a lipstick, I think I’m ready for an eyeshadow…or two!

Aww, no need to be jealous! But yes, their eyeshadow is tops! Rosewood or Midnight Brown would make great first shades :)

22. Amy says:

Um, wow. This post is awesome! I’m sure it took forever, but I must sincerely thank you for your effort (though my wallet’s less than pleased…you’ve added no less than 3 shadows to my “acquire ASAP” list!). Gorgeous and helpful!

It took several hours actually! Between gathering shades, swatching, etc. I was truthfully glad to be finished with it, but I’m so happy with all the wonderful comments! Thank you so much!

23. MY GOD.

Weirdly, this has led me to lemmings for some MAC shadows instead, lol. What a great collection you have though. :)

Thanks Liz! I was hoping someone would notice the MAC ones too. :) Some of my most treasured neutrals are from MAC.

24. Marina says:

Woah – this post completely blew me away. I’ve been debating whether or not to buy a burberry eyeshadow and if so, which one to buy. So now I really do plan on buying one, and can narrow it down much further. Thank you so much! This looks like a LOT of work!

25. Emma Lam says:

Thank you so much!!!! This is like a great, extremely helpful post. I would love to have some of Burberry eye shadows, I used to think how I don’t care about the packaging until I saw them. They are just so classic, so beautiful, they scream “love me plz” to me. And the colors they offer are so gorgeous too. Too bad they are so expensive and I’m a student unwilling to splurge that much on eye shadows. And this post shows me quite a lot of other alternatives to some of my interested shades. Thank you so much!

26. Toya says:

I honestly read this post like, five times, to really take in all the information – there’s so much, wow! You did such a great job here Danielle, this is a lot of work and it is SO, SO helpful, so thank you! You have no idea (or maybe you do) how helpful these posts are, especially for those of us who don’t have access to products firsthand and have to order online/by phone. I’m definitely going to use this as a reference point from now on (among your other comparison posts) – you rock, girl!!! Thanks a million my dear :)

27. M says:

Wow, so jealous of your collection. Burberry’s eye shadows are amazing beyond words. After many trips to the counter, I finally convinced myself to get Rosewood because I just could walk away from it. Somehow Pale Barley appeared to come across chalky to me? Maybe the display I was looking at was a dud? Do you think UD’s Virgin is a dupe of Trench? I’ve never compared the two side by side, but they seem similar in colour.

Hmm, I don’t think so. Trench doesn’t have any shimmer in it while Virgin has quite a bit of sheen. In terms of color I think Trench is also more yellow in tone.

28. Yogi says:

Wow! I love this comparison!!!! Makes it so much easier to choose. (I followed on bloglovin just to not miss out on the next swatch-posts. )

This is exactly what I look for when I google “burberry eyeshadow swatches” (more than I ever expected to find!)

29. Samantha says:

What does LMDB stand for? What brand is that? Thank you.

30. Yogi says:

What does RBR stand for? I like the “delicat hummingbird” so much.

31. Yamille says:

i think loreal infallible endless pearl could be a dupe for trench, but i dont have any of them …. :/

32. Kate says:

I just came across this post and wanted to let you know it was incredibly helpful for me.

33. Reggie says:

In person I thought pale barley was just another light gold…can’t compare to patina. Maybe on darker skin tones it has more dimension?

Also how does rosewood compare to nars ashes to ashes?

34. [...] It looks wonderful in pictures and I am itching to get my hands on it. Check out Danielle’s swatches here (best swatches on the blogosphere). I think I want Almond 06 and Khaki [...]

35. Andrea says:

So helpful, thank you! How about Chanel Fauve and Burberry Midnight Brown ? The Burberry one is out of stock, and I was wondering how the Chanel one compared; here they look quite similar but as they are not part of the same swatch picture, it’s difficult to be sure.

36. Launa says:

WOW thank you for these comparisons…this is the most comprehensive website I’ve found yet in my quest for Burberry swatches! I think I’m going to start with Almond and Trench and later add Pale Barley and Midnight Brown. :)

37. lola says:

Thank you so much for this comprehensive and labor intensive post! I’m on my way this week to pick some up and I feel better prepared and that is a good thing because if not I’ll just buy waaaay too much!

38. Mariana says:

What a great post! Love it

39. Beauty Whispers says:

Awesome post! I loved the comparisons – so very helpful in deciding which colors to add to my collection! Keep posting these in-depth reviews!

40. Marianne says:

Hey! Amazing swatches! I was just wondering about the quality of Burberry against Rouge Bunny Rouge? Are they comparable? I’m not able to get all the Burberry shades I want, but RBR is available to me.

Hi Marianne!

Yes, they are very comparable. Both are silky smooth and pigmented. I have 4 or 5 Rouge Bunny Rouge shades and they are all nice. I think Burberry’s presentation and packaging are better, but when it comes to the eyeshadows themselves they are on par with each other. I hope that helps! :)