Just in time for the unofficial start of the sunny season, all of the Lipstick Bandits decided to showcase a lipstick that oozes summer- something fun and bright. I imagined deciding on one wouldn’t be easy, but I knew right away what color family I would choose- coral. Coral is by far my favorite color for lips (and tips!) all summer long. I originally planned to go with something I already had in my collection (MAC Vegas Volt for example), but you know what they say about the best laid plans…. <ahem>.

I was absentmindedly searching for swatches of a line I had never tried before but have continually heard about (both good and bad). Being a curious minded person I figured I had to test the waters myself and form my own opinion. The brand in question? Tom Ford. Again, I wasn’t intending to make my purchase anything related to this post but once I came upon the swatch of it I knew it was meant to be. *cue dramatic scene cut music*

The packaging. It’s weighty enough and the color combo is starting to grow on me, though when I first saw the brand it was a turn-off. Also, the packaging is not exactly black. As you can see under the light it turns kind of an amber- brown color. I quite like that it’s a bit of a chameleon that way. Keeps things interesting.

But what you really want to see is the color, and rightly so:

True Coral- It’s a gorgeous shade and as the name implies it is a pure coral color and it’s positively glowing. It’s bright, and even brighter in person. The formula is by far my favorite high end regular lipstick formula I have tried (not counting the glossy type lipsticks). Dior’s formula is lovely, but this is more pigmented. I find Guerlain Rouge G’s can be drying on me, and this isn’t. On my lips it glides on effortlessly and feels so smooth. I was surprised to find that it was not a dry formula, nor did it feel dry on my lips. Normally lipsticks with this much pigmentation can be parching, but that’s not the case here. When I rub my lips together it feels almost balmy- no drag at all.

Laser-bright! As I mentioned earlier Coral is my favorite lip color to wear in the summer time. I find it so face brightening and I just like the way it works with my skin tone. I’m often sporting either bright liner or a bright lip and little else on my face during the summer and this is a shade that can pull that off with little effort. Though I have only owned it for about 5 days as I write this I have already worn off the ‘TF’ logo imprinted into the tube, a true testament to how much I enjoy it. Another thing worth noting is that I actually *want* to reapply this. On a normal day I rarely reapply lip color. I just forget. I get busy and I don’t look in the mirror and I forget. This lipstick is that unforgettable, ladies.

True Coral on the lips- The staying power is fair to good- though I think I would be happier if it held up better against drinking and eating. To be fair, most lipsticks (including Chanel’s ubiquitous Dragon) don’t hold up well on me when I’m dining.  Maybe it’s just my body chemistry.

Ah, and then there’s the matter of the price. Le sigh, you know it couldn’t all be great news, could it? It’s a staggering $48 price tag (same as a Rouge G). So will I be buying up the entire range any time soon? No. But I will probably pick a few strategic colors that I know I will use over and over again. Nordstrom carries the lipstick line, but you can also get them from Neiman Marcus, Barney’s and Saks.

Don’t forget to check out what the other Lipstick Bandits chose for their summer bright lipsticks (shield your retinas ladies):

48 Responses to “Lipstick Bandits Do Summer (Brights, That Is)”

1. Ahhh I swatched this a while ago and thought if I get ONE TF lipstick it might have to be this! So bright and fun! Looks ridiculously good on you too!

2. Wow! This is a gorgeous color, it looks fab on you! Great pick!

oh pretty and face brightening as you said! True coral looks like one of those well strategically planned colors for sure
    48 booo no entire line for sure but some shades may look worth it!

4. Summer says:

This is absolutely gorgeous! x

Bad Danielle! TF! I can’t afford to put this on my wishlist, but it’s going there, haha! I think this is the one I’d start with, too, seeing as I don’t own a coral lipstick :P

6. I have yet to try a Tom Ford lipstick, but I really want to!

Grrrr … Danielle now you’ve made me want a Tom Ford lipstick too! It was bad enough when I only wanted the blush!!

8. Alice says:

This is a perfect summer bright. I really want to try a Tom Ford lipstick. x

9. Rocaille says:

There was this one TF berry/purple color I was all over in the winter, but the pricetag scared me off purchasing… The coral looks amazing on you, though!

Ah, I think I know that one…Orchid something? I still want it, but I too resisted for a loooong time. The price is pretty staggering. Thank you!

10. What a gorgeous shade! And the packaging of that lippie is stunning! <3

Ahh, I know! I’m warming up to the packaging. When I first saw it I wasn’t a fan, but now that I know it’s got that chameleon thing going on I like it more.

11. Xiao says:

Woahhhh. That’s almost neon bright! No one does corals like you do, Bloomz. Thankful I’m not super crazy over the TF formula or I’ll start pointing fingers at the culprit responsible for breaking my no-buy :P

Whaaa?! I lurve the formula on this one. I think so much has to do with body chemistry. Like Guerlain Rouge Gs? I find those pretty drying but I know loads of ladies swear by that formula. I actually prefer this one. ;) But, I’m glad I’m not contributing to your delinquency this time.

12. aaand the mysterious Tom Ford lipstick is at long last revealed! *applause* I absolutely LOVE this shade, you weren’t kidding about it being laser-bright. But you wear it so well, I think I need to mosey on over to my nearest TF counter now :)

Thank you! Yep, super bright and super worth it. Give it a go at the counter, put on some sunglasses first ;)

13. Eden-Avalon says:

I’ve been WANTING this TF lipstick. It looks seriously beautiful.

14. Kristi says:

This is a gorgeous & you wear it very well! Definitely summery! TF hasn’t lured me in yet.

Thank you Kristi! I resisted for a loooong time due to the price. But this shade is so me that I knew a splurge was in order!

15. Jen W says:

Ahhh Tom Ford lipsticks are pure luxury. Love this on you, corals look amazing against your skin tone and hair colour.

Thanks Jen! They really are. I suspect I will get another shade in the future after how much I enjoyed this one!

16. Zoe says:

I am a huge fan of Tom Ford makeup – I don’t have the lipstick in this colour but it looks like it would be a nice one for spring.

OOh, what else do you recommend from the line? I just ordered the blush in Flush but apart from that and this lipstick I haven’t tried anything else.

17. Paris B says:

A friend of mine told me this shade was a must have from Tom Ford. I now know it is :P I need me a Tom Ford counter SOON! :P

18. Dovey says:

Wow, how beautifully bright! I’m not sure colors come more intense than this :)

19. That is an amazing colour! Shame it doesn’t last longer though. Looks fierce on you!

I know! I do wish the formula last through drinking (it’s not completely gone, but it’s definitely faded). But sometimes I sacrifice wear time for glorious color- no pain no gain kind of thing. lol. ;)

20. Latoya says:

That is some kinda gorgeous color, Danielle!! I’m dying to try something from the Tom Ford line but we don’t really have access to it here in Canada (Holts I think sells the lipstick but nothing else). If I’m by a counter one day I’ll probably go crazy and buy a whole whack of it, it all looks lovely to me, and this shade – and on you! – is no exception. Great pick for your summer bright!!

Thank you dear! Yes, I don’t have a counter nearby either, though I can order everything online. I’d like to be able to see it in person but unfortunately most of the items I buy I do buy sight unseen. Luckily I have gotten to know my tastes really well and rarely do I pick something that doesn’t work for me at all. The benefits of trial and error! :)

21. GORGEOUS on you Danielle! Stunning shade! I want it!
    I have two of these-Blush Nude and Pink Dusk. I wear Pink Dusk almost daily now and Blush Nude is the perfect nude lip for me. Yeah, they are expensive, but if you love them and will wear them they are so worth it.

22. I could stare at that TF tube forever. I love a shiny new lipstick in the tube, especially in a gorgeous colour like THIS! Love it on you!!

23. Kimberley says:

So pretty…. if only it wasnt SO expensive!

24. it’s so very bright and pretty, i am loving that shade! how fun