I was reading this month’s Glamour magazine (beauty section first, of course) and ran across a feature of a nail kit that was available from Sephora that allowed you to have a super cute news print or typographic nail design transferred onto your mani (that set is available here). And the power of Twitter intervened when I tweeted that I needed to have that set. Not so, as Kimberly from the Plastic Diaries pointed out. She linked me to an easy DIY-method that could be done with products I already had at home.

What you need:

Seems a lot cheaper than buying a set when I already had every ingredient in my house. The DIY instructions said to paint your nails the base color, let dry and then dip your finger in the alcohol and press the paper clipping onto the nail making sure to peel back slowly. I found I had to press hard to get the ink to transfer, which is why it is essential that your polish is completely dry. Do each nail one by one until all nails are ‘printed.’ Then finish with a glossy top coat. My results were pretty good for the first time out of the gate:

Now that I know how the process goes I should be able to keep improving on the results, but I am pretty pleased with what I got overall.

A big thank you to everyone who sent me tips as well! What do you think? Would you rock the News Print Nails? What color would you use as a base?

18 Responses to “Extra! Extra! News Print Nails- A DIY Story”

1. I’ve been meaning to try this for SO LONG! You make it look so easy :)

2. Wow, I can’t believe they’re charging so much for that set! I’ve done newsprint nails a couple times, my favorite base color is Zoya Shay. I recommend pressing down hard on the newsprint for a darker image!

Awesome, Danielle! I think I’d try this over pale blue or maybe even hot pink!

4. annick says:

Cute! I like the color you picked!

5. Kelly says:

this looks so cool! My cousin did something similar a while ago, but I’ve never tried anything fancier than an accent nail! I’m feeling this is about to change . . .

6. Can’t believe Sephora is charging so much for that nail kit. Love this! I did it once with Chinese newspaper hahah, it looked awesome. Next time, you could try saturating the newspaper in alcohol and then pressing it on your nails, I seem to remember that made the transfer easier (but I could be wrong because I have the memory of a goldfish…)

7. I saw a tutorial for this a while back, but I keep forgetting to give it a go… Thank you for a reminding me! You did an amazing job. :)

8. Janine says:

very cool! will try!

This is so cool. I think I’ve seen it done with the color/comics section, too. I am too lazy to do it myself, though I think it looks awesome :)

10. That’s so cool looking–I’m definitely trying this one out. Who needs that Sally Hansen sticker thing (with the “love notes” printed on it). This is just as cute :)

11. Eugenia says:

I’ve been wanting to try this for a while and had actually forgotten about this method *slaps head*….I love your effort (for a first try, it’s impressive!) FAB!

12. jenn says:

I love this look!

13. Toya says:

Whoa, that looks awesome Danielle, and what a great job you did for your first time!!! I’m super-impressed :) I think I might try this out – I’m not much for *nail art* so to speak, but things like this are right up my alley!

14. Dovey says:

This is so creative and awesome :) I love the color you picked with the print!

15. This is terrific. Beauty is so fun :)

16. I didn’t know anything about this!! *so out of the loop* I love what you did here and thanks for sharing! Gotta try it on a less lazier day. :D

17. I love this Idea. Really want to try it!!!