I will start off by saying I am not really a blue eyeshadow kind of gal. I feel like it has to be the *exact* right shade in order for me to like it and wear it. I think it’s because certain shades of blue remind me of Mimi from The Drew Carey Show. Every once in awhile, though, a blue enters my life that can receive plenty of love. Case in point: the Giorgio Armani écailles luxury eye palette just released from their summer 2012 collection:

A thing of beauty, no? The palette is called a luxury edition for a reason. The compact itself is adorned with genuine Mother of Pearl and is absolutely stunning. The price tag is hefty- $95 and it’s limited edition. My, oh my does Giorgio Armani know how to tug at my heart strings.

The word écailles means scales, and appropriately so for a palette that looks reminiscent of the scales on the tail of a mermaid. The four shades all work well together and all but one have a lovely texture. The white shade is a bit more fussy- it’s almost glittery- but not quite.

Swatches in direct sunlight

If you prefer your shadows with BAM-POW pigment these probably aren’t for you. There was a time when I shunned shadows that didn’t have massive/epic pigmentation. Late last year I changed my tune, though. Buildable shades are much easier to work with for me, particularly when I’m in a rush. I think of it this way now- it’s easier to add to the color then it is to take away from it. My two favorite shades are the teal leaning ones (of course). It terms of pigment and texture they are the best two of the palette.

I am loving how the shades worked together! I haven’t yet tried them with the Eyes to Kill Silk Shadows that were released in the collection (see here and here), but I plan to soon. These  last all day on my eyes without creasing and I only experience a bit of fall out from the white shade

Whether you want eyes that have the feel of seven seas or butterfly wings, this palette has you covered. It’s stunning in every way (including the price tag), but if you are looking to add a beautiful luxury item to your arsenal this summer, this is a great way to do it. Available now from Giorgio Armani.

*the item(s) in this post were provided by PR for review consideration only*

28 Responses to “Let Giorgio Armani Help You Sea Blues This Summer”

1. Toya says:

I love the way you applied this Danielle, it looks stunning! I don’t think I could pull this off very well, I find shades like this look almost gaudy on my darker skin, but you wear them very well :) And I’m ok with admiring them from afar!

Oh my gosh Danielle this blue looks incredible on you! I absolutely love the way you’ve put this look together. I must admit, I’m envious of your brown eyes … green and blue just don’t seem to mix I’m afraid *sigh*

Thank you so much Jessica! :) I bet you could pull off the greener blues- that would probably make your eyes pop!

The eye look is perfection, Danielle! LOVE what you did with this palette.

*inhales deeply*

*exhales*

I think I’m ready to swatch mine.

4. Alison M says:

Wo-ooowww! I love this on you! Though I have to say…for $95 I’m quickly looking somewhere other than GA for similar colors -.-

I know, it’s a luxury piece with a decidedly luxury price tag. Not for everyone, but there is something special about the real mother-of-pearl on the palette, you know? :)

5. The look you did is UNBELIEVABLE! Really sells the palette right there! So gorgeous!

6. I very rarely do the blue eyeshadow thing–but if ever there was a blue eyeshadow palette that could make me fall in love, this is it! I want it SO bad, but I know it has more to do with the packaging and how pretty the shades are to look at rather than how much I want to wear them. I just want to own it so I can put it on my vanity and stare at it all day :P

7. Zoe says:

I absolutely adore this & even though it is winter down here in Melbourne, I was wondering if anyone knows if this is available here? Or if it will be anytime soon?
    (I don’t even mind if I have to ship it in)

Thanks for the great post Danielle!

Hi Zoe- I have an email in to the company and will let you know what I hear back! I tried a google search but couldn’t come up with anything on my own.

8. GORGEOUS Bloomz!! Love what you did with it! I too have changed my tune about less pigmented shadows. I tend to prefer them now as well.

Thank you Trakee!!! Yep, I used to be all about pigment pigment pigment- now I find that when I’m getting ready in the morning I don’t have time for endless blending sessions so sheerer shades are easier to work with.

9. Dovey says:

Oh my gosh, the casing is gorgeous!! Love it; it really is like an aquatic dream :)

10. So in love with the look you created! The sheen on these is absolutely gorgeous, it really does remind me of mermaid scales. Of course, that packaging doesn’t hurt either :P

11. Eugenia says:

You’re so right Danielle; it’s so much easier to apply more than to take away, and these shadows are right up my alley! I’m a fool for anything teal, and seeing as how I have the Limited Edition Madre Perla face highlighter from the Holiday 2011 collection, I should pair it up with the black mother of pearl version, wouldn’t you agree? Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous….did I say gorgeous?!!

I totally agree! Very jealous of your highlighter palette- I had my eye on that when it released too! Perfection together I would say- at least on top of your vanity ;)

12. Wow! You know, it’s the best of THREE worlds: beautiful packaging, BAM! POW! in the pan and total wearability on the eyes. It’s lovely and I’m glad you get to enjoy it. :)

Beautiful! They’re just sheer enough that you can create more subdued looks with them. I like it!

14. I’m entering the world of blue shadows the same way I enter the ocean… trepidatiously, slowly, worrying about the cold….

15. [...] Eyes to Kill Silk Shadows (featured here) and the Écailles luxury shadow palette (shown here). I now regret that, and you will see [...]