Tarte Knows How to Start- With a Clean Slate

I don’t know about you, but I go hot and cold with using primers. I used to think they were an unnecessary step and just took more time to apply then they were worth. Then after trying some nice ones I changed my tune. Sometime over the winter I got a little lazy and primers (for eyes and face) fell out of favor with me again. Urban Decay primer potion used to be my go-to but the wand application is not my cup of tea (I have older versions) but there were some shadow formulations it didn’t seem to help. I also realize that my oily skin benefits from a nice pre-makeup base. Always in search of the next best thing, I looked to Tarte for a new solution to my primer woes.

The Clean Slate line really intrigued me. There are two face primers- one for more oily skin (Poreless, shown above) and one for more normal/dry (Brightening, not pictured) . The Poreless primer was the obvious choice for me as my issue is really staying matte and smoothing over any larger pores in my T-zone. The thing I *love* about Tarte’s line is that they formulate their products without parabens and sulfates AND they are cruelty free, which means their line is pretty much for everyone.

L-R: Clean Slate Poreless Primer, Clean Slate 360 Creaseless Primer

Both blend out to be clear and create a nice, even canvas with which to start your day and come housed in squeeze tubes (which I love) with cute bamboo caps. Both boast 12 hours of wear time. A lofty claim, indeed. The Poreless primer definitely enhances the wear time of my makeup, no question. I also like the feel it gives to the surface of my skin. It has a silicone texture- but not overly so. It makes applying foundation or tinted moisturizer easier. I was a little disappointed that it didn’t mattify my skin a bit more- though it does help. My blush wear time seems to have improved as well, still noticeably on my cheeks 9+ hours into the wear.

The eye primer, though has impressed me the most. My results? Judge for yourself:

I took this picture about 3 hours into the wear time of my makeup- eyes in perfect condition, no surprise for only 3 hours. But a funny thing happened, when I got home that evening after a looooong day at the office….

I noticed my eye makeup was still *just* as I applied it 11.5 hours in. This was taken at around the 11.5 hour mark with NO touch ups. Nothing, I didn’t add or take away a single thing. I didn’t use any other base and these are just regular MAC eyeshadows. I am blown away by the power of this primer. Even the L’oreal Infallible cream shadows last all day without creasing when used over this primer.

The Clean Slate Poreless primer retails for $30 and the Clean Slate 360 degree Creaseless primer retails for $19. They can be found on Tarte’s website and on Sephora.com. I also found a great little trio of the primers for those that want to try all three before you buy, you can purchase a set of three deluxe samples for $9. What a great idea and massive props to Tarte for giving their customers a chance to sample and find out which ones fit their skin types before committing to a full size.

I can’t say enough about these primers and am so glad they came into my life. How about you, do you skip primer all together? Use it just on your eyes? Dish!

*products were provided by PR for review only*

This entry was posted in Tarte and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Tarte Knows How to Start- With a Clean Slate

1. Alison M says:

Giirrrllll, you’ve turned me onto Tarte. Okay, so I haven’t made a purchase yet but that’s because I’m sorting out my wish list! The bamboo (bamboo!) caps…I’m such a sucker for bamboo. I’m back and forth on primers too. Although, the new Sonia Kashuk mattifier has me hooked. That stuff is awesome. I don’t like having layer after layer over my face, but I do find that both my mattifier and any one of my variety of primers work best if used together. For eyes I use UDPP because I got it in a duo. The Sin version is definitely nice to have, but eh. I could definitely use something with a bamboo cap ;)

I know- the Bamboo caps= marketing genius. I love it. That mattifier! OK, I am going to Target today, first thing!

2. I wear eye primer every. single. time I apply eyeshadow–or there would really be no point. My oily eyelids would be sure to eradicate any traces of shadows in about an hour. I use Nars Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base exclusively–but maybe I’ll check this one out if it’s as good as you say it is :) besides, it’d be nice to save a couple of bucks on the Tarte one

• Sarah S. says:

Definitely try the Tarte primer! Nars’ Smudge Proof Shadow Base didn’t work for me at all. Then again, I’m the only person I know that happened to.

I have heard really good things about the NARS primer too- but now that I have tried this I’m not really looking for anything else :)

3. Agata says:

That’s a really pretty picture of you. I just bought the sample size trio, haven’t had the chance to try it out yet but after your review the products look promising!

4. Anna Luciano says:

The eye primer will be on my “must-buy” list for this week!

Yes! you will love it! I wore it with cream shadows yesterday until midnight and eye makeup didn’t budge!

Tarte has had some duds for me in the past (don’t care for their eyeshadows – swatch well but go all muddy on my eyes), but I do think their eye primer is as good or better then UDPP. Some days neither seem to work well enough on me, though. It seems to depend on the day. I have such schizophrenic skin! Dry one day and an oil slick the next… maybe I should take a cue from you and get both primers ;)

There you go! My skin changes with the season- but also different parts of my skin have different behaviors which is maddening. I need a map because there are the oily spots, the normal spots and then the dry spots (mostly in winter).

I’m actually not much for all over face primers, though eye primers are a must! I’m looking for a primer, though, because when I want to use my photo-friendly foundations, I skip my usual Clinique sunscreen, which usually acts as a primer. I’ve been thinking maybe Hourglass. This one does sound lovely, but I haven’t had much luck with Tarte face products – something in them breaks me out!

Oh no! I would walk carefully too then. I avoid brands if even one product of theirs breaks me out. Not the best reaction- but it’s the better of two evils for me. I have heard good things about Hourglass too. I have a sample packet waited to be tried; it will be interesting to see how the two compare!

7. Wow that is impressive! I love finding good primers. I wish more people knew just how important they are and what a difference they can make. I am ashamed to say that I don’t think I have tried a single Tarte product. :-o

What?!?! No Tarte?! You must remedy that. Their Amazonian Clay blushes are fabulous and their LipSurgence lip pencils are awesome. :)

8. Carli says:

I’m super excited to try these! I love tarte products and I’m glad their primers do not disappoint. Also, I see your BCBG scarf, love it!

Yes! I had to get it after I saw both Tanya Burr from Pixi2woo and MissGlamourazzi wearing it!

Amazing results! Your eye makeup is still perfect at the end of the day. I have to try that eye primer when I run out of my Too Faced Shadow Insurance. Fantastic reviews, Bloomz!

10. This is a drop-dead gorgeous look on you. I love the simplicity and old world glamour feel. Now, as for primers: I am never quite sure if they are working or not. So I duly apply like a schoolgirl who wants an A+, but I haven’t had the WOW moment you had with these Tarte products. I like to wear my Garnier BB cream as a base for mineral foundation, but does it help it last? I don’t know. But the color/ application of the mf certainly *looks* smoother.

11. Eugenia says:

I can’t thank you enough for this fabulous review, Danielle; I will be doing my cousin’s makeup for her son’s wedding in a few short weeks, and I’ve been looking for a really good primer that works for someone with oily skin — think I’ve found it, thanks to you!

12. Toya says:

I can’t believe how perfect your eye makeup looks after almost 12 hours, Danielle! WOWZA. I also fall in and out of favor with primers, for very similar reasons you mentioned, but you can’t knock how invaluable *good* primers are! I’ll definitely be giving these a little look-see, that’s pretty good proof!