Giorgio Armani Summer 2012: New Eyes To Kill Silk Shadows! (OMG)

Any time Giorgio Armani releases new shades of their now world-famous Eyes to Kill Silk Shadows I get all giggly. They are hands down my number one favorite cream eyeshadow. They are shimmery, creamy, ultra-blendable and last all day (without primer). The colors have dimension and catch the light in such a gorgeous way that no other cream shadows can possibly measure up. Also, they do look kind-of-freaking-amazing in the pots, don’t they?

I chose three of the four shades that were released: #20 Obsidian Black, #22 Écailles and #23 Madre Perla. There is a 4th shade called #21 Obsidian Grey which may or may not be making it’s way to me right now. ;)

These shadows come with a substantial price tag, but to me they are 100% worth it. They retail for $32/each for 4g of product- a generous amount and still less expensive than Chanel’s Illusion d’ombre shadows ($36/each for 4g). I prefer these to the Chanel ones. If you can only afford one, pick one of the limited edition shades (Madre Perla or Obsidian Black) as they won’t be around forever. The other two have been introduced to the permanent range.

Now, on to the fun stuff!

#23- Madre Perla (I have seen press releases call this #24- it’s not, the bottom is marked as #23)

I was undecided about getting this shade until I read this in the press release for the collection:

“This season’s must-have, “Madre Perla” is a blend of precious white pearls that instantly radiates ever-changing pink, purple, blue and green light for hours. It can be swept over eyes and temples, like a radiance veil as seen in the Giorgio Armani Spring/Summer 2012 show “Nacré”. Neither a cream nor a powder, this incredible hybrid formula acts like a color suspension that delivers a dreamy, ethereal beauty to the eyes with a 24 hour hold.”

Umm, can anyone say no to that description? I certainly couldn’t.

Madre Perla: Dry/Wet

It’s hard to capture the radiance of Madre Perla, but you can see the pink and green coming through is this photo. It changes with the light and is probably the most ethereal looking shadow/highlighter I own.

#22 Écailles

I knew from promo pictures I wanted this shade- it seemed to lean seafoam and blue.

Écailles- Dry/Wet

It’s stunning, really. The seafoam hues are brought out in a shade-shifting way, sometimes looking grey or light blue and other times leaning more green.

#20 Obsidian Black

This was the true stunner in the promotional images- it looked like the dark ocean- and it translates that way in real life too.

Obsidian Black- Dry/Wet

Another multi-dimensional winner. Armani just knows how to produce a stellar eyeshadow, plain and simple. The texture of Obsidian Black is slightly different than the other Eyes to Kill shades I have tried (Madre Perla too). They both feel extra silky to me, even smoother and more refined.

I can’t say enough about these shades. I own several and have never been disappointed. I haven’t tested these for wear time yet, but of all the ones I have had in the past I have never had an issue with creasing or smudging. You can find them at Nordstrom’s and Neiman Marcus now. If you want a personal touch with excellent service I recommend contacting Kathy Shoreman at Neiman Marcus Tyson’s Galleria (571-533-4972).

This is part 1 of my Giorgio Armani Summer 2012 collection love affair. Expect more parts soon!

PS- Want to check out the other shades I have reviewed or swatched? Click here, here, here, here and here. ;) Can you tell I’m obsessed?!?!

This entry was posted in Giorgio Armani and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to Giorgio Armani Summer 2012: New Eyes To Kill Silk Shadows! (OMG)

1. OH. MY. GOODNESS.
    I am speechless. I want them all. MUST.

DYING. DYING. I could see myself wearing Madre Perla all summer long and nothing else.

… except clothes, maybe. ;)

3. annie says:

Obsidian Black is like… I’m speechless. It is so beautiful.

Would you say Madra Perla could work for cheekbones as well? It’s very pretty. I always get scared there is fallout with these – they look so shimmery!!

Yes! I have worn it and these blend out so nicely, no fall out- and using your fingers is best.

Droolworthy swatches, certainly!

5. Meredith says:

wow…these are amazing. Must. have.

6. Kate says:

Wow. Even though I had high expectations for these, I’m bowled over. I originally thought that Madre Perla would be passable and that the colour shift wouldn’t be that pronounced. I can’t imagine why I thought that… Obsidian Black is exactly what I wanted it to be… Serious lemming…

7. Nikki B says:

Madre pearl looks incredible in the pan. Is it one of those colors that photos don’t do it justice kind of thing. I just don’t know if I could justify 32$ for a shadow for myself though.

I know, the price is hard to swallow. So expensive- but if you were ever going to splurge on something for yourself these would be a great way to do it!

EEKKKKKKKKK OMG Dying!!!!! Écailles reminds me of mermaids!! seafoam is the perf description and mother perla, SWOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I JUST DIED. I NEED! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK you for the swatches. *Runs to order*

10. Teri says:

Looove the three shades, the first one looks so magical! I can’t get past the price tag though, but I might need one of these!

11. Kristi says:

Soooooooo pretty!

12. Lena says:

oh my God!
    they look a-mahzing!! ;o

13. Clara says:

These are amaaaazing!! Obsidian Black is seriously one of the prettiest colors I’ve ever seen. I might totally splurge on some of these this summer, thanks for the review!!

madre perla looks so magnificent. i am imagining using it as a highlighter and dying at the thought. ugh i have so many highlighters though…so pretty!!

I know- I have way too many- but when I saw that they used it in the show and the ethereal look it gave I totally broke down. ;)

15. Anna says:

Obsidian Black is absolutely stunning. How do you plan on wearing it to show it in it’s full glory?

I think I am going to wear it all over the lid and do some layering with the powder shadows from the collection- maybe I will wear it in a few different ways if I can find the time to do it :) I’m certain it’s going to make a great base but I also want to showcase it on it’s own.

16. Preciosas las tres.!!!! un beso guapa!

17. Laura says:

ik volg je trouwens via bloglovin, volg je me terug? xx

Madre Perla…whoa. Just…whoa.

19. Mercedes says:

Ohh crapppppp! I want these so badly now!!! X

20. Toya says:

Woo!! I only own one of these, but I know already that every single shade is awesome and I want them. Especially Écailles here – OMG!! I don’t tend to like pale blue shadows, but this is TOTALLY an exception. INSANELY beautiful.

Thanks for showing these Danielle! And inspiring more lemmings!! :)

;) No problem Toya! I know- I don’t usually go for blues either but the green tones in this make it much better!

21. anna says:

Oh my… I am resisting the urge to get Madre Perla but I think this is one fight I will lose. Before I could never fathom spending so much for an eyeshadow… but I guess soon I will fathom it. Lol.

22. Dovey says:

I think my eyes went all starry at the first photo… and the second… and third… and after that. I’m at a loss for which one is the prettiest— they’re all so beautiful! Madre Perla, Ecailles and Obsidian look like they’d look great worn together or alone!

23. oh goodness, you NEED to do an FOTD with these soon. I can’t even pick a favorite out of the three shades, at first I thought it would be Madre Perla…then I saw the other two. They’re unbelievably beautiful. As much as I love L’oreal Infallibles, they just can’t compare (not really a dupe anyways, but I was consoling myself with those LOL).

24. NeenaJ says:

PLEASE do a look with these! I’ve had Madre Perla and Écailles in and out of my Nordstom cart since you posted this. But, I really need to see how they look on the eyes.
    Thanks!

25. Pingback: Let Giorgio Armani Help You Sea Blues This Summer |

26. Eugenia says:

Did you hear that thud? That was me, hitting the floor! My SA called me yesterday to let me know that this collection was finally in, and it was a good thing I was busy, or my bank account would be seriously lighter now, lol! These are soooooo stunning and I’ve been eagerly waiting to see them “live” … your swatches convinced me that I need each & every one!

27. Pingback: Giorgio Armani Summer 2012: Luxury Edition Écailles Eye Palette, Gloss d’Armani 512 Red Andradite Reviews, Photos, Swatches | Glitter Geek

28. Pingback: Beautifully Understated with Giorgio Armani Écailles Cheek and Face Duo |