Summer Collections are dropping like hot potatoes this week and I have to say I’m excited! NARS has done a really solid collection this time so I wanted to share what I picked out and some comparisons to other things I own in case you are on the fence. Keep in mind this isn’t a review- this is just swatches, first impressions and such. Enjoy!

I picked out three things that looked appealing to me: Ramatuelle Eyeshadow Trio, Buenos Aires Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil and Liberté Blush.

We’ll start with Ramatuelle, which is also my very first NARS trio

The Ramatuelle trio is softly tropical…like a whisper of summer, not full on. It’s named for a commune in southern France, and when you look at photos of the region, it’s easy to see where NARS drew their inspiration:

Silvery skies and nude-peach buildings say NARS got this trio right.

Swatches in natural light

Swatches with flash

Liberté Blush

I thought Liberté Blush would be more unique to my collection than it actually turned out to be. It’s still a beautiful and highly pigmented blush but I do have something quite similar already:

Clockwise from left: MAC Modern Mandarin, NARS Liberté, NARS Gilda, MAC Burnt Pepper

Now from the pans you are probably thinking MAC’s Burnt Pepper looks closest- and that’s what I thought too…

Swatches L-R: Modern Mandarin, Gilda, Liberté, Burnt Pepper

Actually, Gilda is quite close! Liberté is slightly more rust in tone while Gilda is slightly more orange/peach. I applied one to each side of my cheeks and can see only the tiniest difference with Liberté applying slightly more red. If you already have Gilda you may not feel the need for Liberté.

EDIT: For those wondering, Gilda has the better texture between the two. It’s more velvety where Liberté is more dry and can be prone to patchiness.

The real star of this collection to me is this Buenos Aires Velvet Gloss Pencil…! After having tried Mexican Rose from their spring collection I was obsessed with the formula (the likes of it’s lasting power have scarcely been seen before). I will let you know if this lives up to the same standard.

NARS Buenos Aires on lips

It’s a *very* flattering shade on my skin tone and has the same feel as Mexican Rose. The Spanish girl in me (you knew I took years of that, right?) adores the fact this is called Buenos Aires!

Swatches L-R: MAC Creme d’Nude, Burberry Romantic Rose, Revlon Soft Nude, NARS Belle du Jour, NARS Buenos Aires, MAC Patisserie

The closest I have is again from NARS, but Belle du Jour is more tan/peachy.

Okay, that’s the rundown! Look for a FOTD post soon–maybe even tomorrow ;)

Are you getting anything from this latest NARS release? What’s your favorite NARS product you own?

24 Responses to “Preview: NARS Summer 2012”

1. GORGEOUS swatches Danielle! I wasn’t feeling this collection, but the more pics I see the more I seem to like it! Especially that shadow trio! But uggghhhh, I’m still hurting from my Guerlain haul…. :)

Thank you dear! *hugs* I think you’d be fine without most of these items. The trio is supposedly limited edition- but I’m not sure how much truth is in that since so many NARS things in the past were “LE” are still available now… ;) Can’t wait to see your Guerlain goodies! My meteorites arrive on Thursday!

2. Beth Hardy says:

Thorough as I’m finding you to be! Gorgeous lip color for you! Wow, eye shadow shades are gorgeous….can’t wait to see how you wear…yes, post tomorrow!

3. Courtney says:

The blush looks great! Love the lip color on you! :]

4. Jacquelyn says:

I need Liberte!! That blush looks so pretty!!

5. Ashley says:

I thought I *needed* Liberté but it’s much too close to Gilda which I do have! Another summer collection I’m passing safely, whewf!

Hey Danielle!

Can you comment on the blendability of Gilda vs. Liberté? I’ve read several times that Liberté is kinda patchy/hard to blend. If Gilda is smoother then I think I’m going to pick that one up instead. :) Great comparison swatches as usual!

Thanks!

I agree. Gilda is better in terms of blending on my cheeks, at least from my experience tonight. I will test again tomorrow and see if it’s the same. Thank youuuu!

We’re twinsies! I got the same three things. xD I slapped on Buenos Aires the moment I got it and it’s total love. I can’t wait to see how it all looks on you! =D

Eeek!!! Buenos Aires ftw! Well, and Liberte and Ramatuelle! I can’t wait to try it on and see what you do with yours as well! We both tend to gravitate towards the same things, with NARS especially! I am so glad I didn’t get that duo now that Temptalia gave it such a poor grade!

8. Dovey says:

Hi Danielle! Thank you so much for your nice comments earlier today :)

You and Jessica are officially driving me *nuts* with these pictures of Ramatuelle! I just got mine in the mail today and I know I can’t use it until I photograph it! Liberte is completely gorgeous; I can’t wait to see a post and a possible FOTD?. Buenos Aires was a near buy for me, and with your remarks I’m feeling a little weak again :)

9. Stephanie says:

The blush is absolutely beautiful (Coming from a blush freak, there is NO blush that isn’t beautiful :D) I think this will be a collection that I have to pass (My wallet is thanking me) and I’m glad that it’s a close color to Modern Mandarin!

10. Jenn says:

Thanks for the swatches!
    By the way, about Buenos Aires, is it beige pink or beige peach??
    Nars official description said it’s beige pink, but people who already have it said it’s beige peach rather than beige pink because they couldn’t see any pinky color in it.

11. Astrid says:

Thank you for the review! I was thinking if I should pick Liberte. It’s very tempting since everyone was saying how gorgeous it is for darker skin but my gut is saying I don’t really need it because I probably have colors similar to this. You confirmed it. I have Gilda :).
    Btw, Buenos Aires looks very lovely on you!

12. Eugenia says:

I love the pencil! I bought Mexican Rose too and was totally floored with A) the ease of use B) the glossy finish & texture and C) the crazy staying power! This one is so much more wearable for me, so I’m definitely adding it to my list. The trio is gorgeous too and totally in line for summer, but while I was thinking of the blush, I’ve heard that it’s not up to NARS’ usual standard — love Gilda though! Fabulous swatches … thank you, thank you, thank you!

Yes- I had the same experience with Mexican Rose! I knew I needed Buenos Aires for a more day to day lip!

13. […] is another blush I was disappointed with. I did my original review here and my opinion hasn’t changed. If you don’t already have a similar shade, it might be […]