I told you it was coming! I have several of the MAC In Extra Dimension shadows to show you, including several comparisons to help you decide what you might have that’s close.

Clockwise from top: Havana, Modern Pewter, Sweet Heat

Clockwise from left: Gran Galaxy, Warm Thunder, Rich Core, Blue Orbit, Young Venus

These shadows have a phenomenal texture and wonderful color payoff. I am so impressed with MAC for coming out with something different. I enjoy most of their normal eyeshadow range but these are a step above. I have also compared these to the Mega Metal shadows, and I actually prefer the Extra Dimension shadows because they don’t get powdery.

Clockwise from bottom: MAC Sable, MAC Tempting, L’oreal Bronzed Taupe, MAC Havana, Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill #6 Khaki Pulse

Swatches L-R: MAC Sable, MAC Tempting, L’oreal Bronzed Taupe, MAC Havana, Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill #6 Khaki Pulse

Swatches L-R (flash): MAC Sable, MAC Tempting, L’oreal Bronzed Taupe, MAC Havana, Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill #6 Khaki Pulse

I initially thought that Havana was kind of..well… boring. MAC’s Tempting comes closest but leans quite a bit more gold. Turns out Havana is actually a lovely shade!

L-R: MAC Electra, MAC Silverthorn, MAC Warm Thunder, Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill #4

Swatches L-R: MAC Electra, MAC Silverthorn, MAC Warm Thunder, GA #4

Swatches L-R (flash): MAC Electra, MAC Silverthorn, MAC Warm Thunder, GA #4

Initially I thought that Giorgio Armani #4 would be closest, and it is. However, it’s also darker. It’s also like a really glammed up version of Electra.

L-R: Guerlain Cruel Gardenia, MAC Swish, MAC Of Summer, MAC Young Venus

Swatches L-R: Guerlain Cruel Gardenia, MAC Young Venus, MAC Swish, MAC Of Summer

Swatches L-R (flash): Guerlain Cruel Gardenia, MAC Young Venus, MAC Swish, MAC Of Summer

I don’t have anything that compares to Young Venus! It’s the perfect light pink.I am *very* picky about what pink shadows I will wear which is why I don’t own that many. Young Venus is right up my alley.

L-R: MAC Sketch, MAC Rich Core, MAC Twinks, MAC Glamour Check!

Swatches L-R: MAC Sketch, MAC Rich Core, MAC Glamour Check!, MAC Twinks

Swatches L-R (flash): MAC Sketch, MAC Rich Core, MAC Glamour Check!, MAC Twinks

Again, I don’t have anything that’s all that similar to Rich Core. It’s such a complex shade!

L-R: MAC Parfait Amour, MAC Blue Orbit, Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill #3 Purpura, MAC Grand Galaxy, MAC Satellite Dreams

Swatches L-R: MAC Parfait Amour, MAC Blue Orbit, MAC Grand Galaxy, MAC Satellite Dreams, Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill #3 Purpura

Swatches L-R (flash) MAC Parfait Amour, MAC Blue Orbit, MAC Grand Galaxy, MAC Satellite Dreams, Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill #3 Purpura

Both Blue Orbit and Grand Galaxy are unique and shifting shades, both absolutely worth it! Also, great to pair together! :

Clockwise from bottom: Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill #9 Rock Sand, MAC Superb, MAC Sweet Heat, MAC Dalliance, MAC Modern Pewter

Swatches L-R: GA #9 Rock Sand, MAC Superb, MAC Sweet Heat, MAC Dalliance, MAC Modern Pewter

Swatches L-R (flash): GA #9 Rock Sand, MAC Superb, MAC Sweet Heat, MAC Dalliance, MAC Modern Pewter

Sweet Heat and Superb are almost identical. If you have one you don’t really need the other in terms of shade, but the texture of the shadows is slightly different than the highlighters. Sweet Heat is a bit darker as well. Dalliance and Modern Pewter aren’t close at all.

*whew*

I hope this helped! I *really* enjoy this new formula and wish they would introduce as a permanent part of the MAC line up because it’s definitely worthy of it! All of the swatches above were done dry and without a base! ;)

Will you be trying any of these new shadows? What shade is your favorite?

20 Responses to “MAC In Extra Dimension Shadows: Swatches & Comparisons!”

1. Modern Pewter and Rich Core are just gorgeous!

2. JC says:

I skipped out on the eyeshadows, but I did pick up Glorify and Whisper of Gilt. I can’t wait to receive them in the mail.

Amazing swatches and comparisons as always.

3. annie says:

Ooooh yay! Now I’m even more excited that Grand Galaxy is on its way to me! Thanks for the swatches!!

4. Gorgeous swatches!

I ordered Young Venus and Warm Thunder, and also got the Superb highlighter.

Incredible and cohesive array of swatches and eye candy galore!!!! you are amazing and finding brand dupes!!

6. Ashley says:

I picked up Grand Galaxy!!

7. Christy says:

Great swatches, thanks! Mac Grand Galaxy is calling me…

8. Thx for this post with all these swatches! Im deff going to buy the MSF’s, and because of the comparisons of the e/s you made me hungry for some of them!

9. Noraaaaa:) says:

i love MAC Modern Pewter <3

I might regret not getting rich core and grand galaxy, but I’m passing as much MAC as possible now because of the animal testing policy change… le sigh :(

11. BooBooNinja says:

Wow! Thanks for these swatches and comparisons.
    It looks like…dare I say it… MAC Young Venus may be a more finely milled illuminator than Guerlain Cruel Gardenia. Do either have glitter? (I hope not!) Thoughts?

Also, you mentioned the highlighters and shadows have slightly different textures. Would you mind elaborating on that a bit more?
    The eyeshadow’s smaller size and lower price point appeal to me. After all, how many highlighters can a person get through in a lifetime, eh?

No problem! I feel like the Guerlain one is creamier. Young Venus is more sparkly but neither contain glitter (that irritating, fall out kind of sparkle). Young Venus will make a pretty highlight I think, on the right skin tone.

I should have explained that when I was typing…blame it on the swatch overload! Sorry, the eyeshadows feel…thicker…if that makes sense. It’s possibly because they have more of an ingredient in them to make them adhere to the eyes longer or better? I’m not sure, the formula is relatively the same, but my fingertips feel a difference (it’s slight).
      I totally get it on the price point. The shadows are cheaper and can easily replace the highlighters. Like Sweet Heat instead of Superb, for example.

12. Courtney says:

Havana is gorgeous! Thanks for the swatches & comparisons hun!

13. Erin says:

That was a really thorough comparison! Great coverage!

14. Nice! You got some great shades! But I just don’t think I’ll be getting any of them. They are just so shiny! And big! The new MAC stuff just doesn’t seem to be appealing to me anymore. I think I’m suffering from MAC overload lol! Although Blue Orbit looks so lovely… :)

15. Dovey says:

Hi Danielle, I had a major ‘oooooooo’ moment when seeing warm thunder. I don’t know what it is about these silvery shades that just draws me in like moth to flame. I also find the ‘warm’ a bit paradoxical =D I also ogled your swatches of modern pewter for quite a bit too!

16. Mandy says:

Great swatches, makes it very helpful for deciding what is worth purchasing and what isn’t. :-)

17. […] changes things … Anyway, you can see my swatches and review for that collection here. I loved it and still use many of the items from that collection on a regular basis. The formula is […]

18. Anonymous says:

Hі there Dear, are you genuinely visiting thіs website daily, іf sߋ afterward ʏou will without
    doubt get fastidious ҡnow-hօw.

My blog como controlar la eyaculacirecoz naturalmente gratis