Lipstick Bandits: A Universally Flattering Shade

The Lipstick Bandits strike again! This time we posed the question: Is there a universally flattering lipstick shade out there? We think we have found it and it shouldn’t be any surprise because most of you will have heard of this shade before…

It’s MAC’s Viva Glam V! When I first got into the online beauty community, even before I started this blog, I had heard-tell of the wonders of this lipstick. Even my own mother owned it before I even had a chance to tell her about it’s amazing-ness! This was one of my first MAC lipstick purchases. It’s such an easy to shade to wear with anything which makes it a perfect purse lipstick (the one that’s always in your bag. I also love the Viva Glam program which you can read about here. MAC donates 100% of the proceeds of the Viva Glam lipsticks to the MAC AIDS Fund. Talk about a win-win!

It’s a lustre finish which means it’s quite shiny and it also contains shimmer. I think it adds just the right glow to my lips.

These lipsticks retail for $14.50 on MAC’s website/stores/counters. Is MAC a little out of your price range? I tried to find some close drugstore options as well:

I compared it to two of the Revlon lip butters I own in Sugar Plum and Peach Parfait:

Swatches L-R: Revlon Peach Parfait, MAC Viva Glam V, Revlon Sugar Plum

Although I didn’t find an exact dupe, Peach Parfait is an excellent everyday choice as well. Sugar Plum is a bit more, well, plummy. Although it isn’t crazy pigmented, it isn’t quite as neutral as the other two.

Wearing MAC Viva Glam V!

Did I mention this lipstick is also very versatile? Yep, you can wear it a multitude of ways…like…add some shimmery gold gloss…

MAC Viva Glam V layered with NARS Greek Holiday gloss

It adds a summery/beachy touch, don’t you think? I *love* this combo!

Want to perk up the shade for drinks after work? Add a bright lip liner…

MAC Viva Glam V layered over MAC Embrace Me lip pencil (see here)

Viva Glam V turns an otherwise neon-bright lip pencil into more of a berry shade that’s perfect for going out.

What’s on the rest of my face? Here is the product breakdown:

Face- Tarte Maracuja Concealer in light, MAC MSFN in Medium Plus spritzed with Fix+, MAC Modern Mandarin lightly stippled onto cheeks, MAC Whisper of Gilt skinfinish

Eyes- MAC Dalliance Mega Metal Shadow (inner corners), MAC Modern Pewter Extra Dimension shadow (all over lids, lower lashline) MAC Havana Extra Dimension shadow in outer corner/crease, Tarte Amazonian Clay liner in Rich Green, Lancome Hypnose Drama Mascara

Want to see how Viva Glam V looks on the rest of the Lipstick Bandits? Check out their posts below!

This entry was posted in Lipstick, Lipstick Bandits, MAC and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Lipstick Bandits: A Universally Flattering Shade

1. Pingback: Lipstick Bandits: MAC Viva Glam V Looks Good On All Of Us, And Here’s Proof. | Glitter Geek

2. Kelly says:

I completely agree – Viva glam V is one of my all time favorite lipsticks!

I LOVE that you showed so many different options for wearing VGV.

But Danielle, I have a problem with you. I have lash envy! Are you using a new mascara or have your lashes grown even more from the Lashem serum?

*ducks* ;) They must be growing ‘cuz I’m still using my trusty Lancome Hypnose Drama :) No lash curler required!

4. Pingback: theNotice: a beauty blog » A universal lipstick with the Lipstick Bandits | MAC Viva Glam V review, photos, swatches

5. Annick says:

Very pretty on you!

Are you going to review the Extra Dimension shadows?! I’d love to hear your take on them :D

Oooh, love that you showed different ways to wear it. They all look beautiful on you and I will have to try some! I don’t own a bright liner…hahaha. But that is an awesome combo. Maybe I’ll just layer it over a different lipstick. Hmmm…

7. Love the combinations! I think I need to pick up Greek Holiday (and go on one, too).

Ditto that! I like the gloss just for the name alone..harkening to blue-green sea shores…. *sigh* if you go, take me with you! ;)

8. Rocaille says:

The combo with the pink liner is amazing, I wouldn’t have thought of that! Thank you, Danielle :)

9. LOVE your combos Danielle! VG5 looks so gorgeous on you EVERY way! And your skin! You’re just wearing MFS Natural!! Amazing!

10. Hav says:

Awesome post! I haven’t really heard much about this lipstick but now I want it!

Even in a collaborative post in which I think we’re all posting the same thing you still have the miraculous ability to make me want something I didn’t know I wanted! Greek Holiday gloss? Gorgeous!

You make every option look amazing.
    Love it!

Awww <3 totally made my day Jessica! I *really* like the NARS lipgloss formula, so silky and not sticky! I know you like Oasis gloss too, that’s another favorite for me!

You look so lovely and fresh, doll! That eye makeup is so Springtimey :)

13. Paris B says:

Ohh I love that last one with the pink! Thanks for the ideas :D Also I love how pigmented this looks on you. I had to layer it like crazy to get it to show up properly and then it was a bit frosty. Sigh…

14. i have the gloss version of this, LOVE it! i think i need that revlon peach parfait too, didn’t know it was so pretty

15. Ashley says:

OOooOo VGV + Greek Holiday! I can hear the sound of the ocean and feel the squishy sand between my toes already!

16. Taylor says:

I love Viva Glam V. Its a little sheer though.

17. Love that you did comparisons to the Revlon Lip Butters! VG V looks absolutely beautiful on you, especially with that eye makeup :)

18. Ujjal says:

i love red especially in the smmeur when i don’t need anything else! my current staple is the Pro LongWear lipcolor from MAC. Application is everything with this line. With buffed lips, apply the color and let it set. Don’t rub or press lips together. Once its dry you can wear it matte or put the gloss on for some shine!It lasts about 7 hours. It doesn’t budge. My nieces love that i can smooch them and not get them messy. My husband also enjoys this. thanks for sharing! You’re adorable!