I have to preface this post by saying HI!!! I’m back from vacation! ;) I fully intended my first post back to be vacation related, but since these MAC collections are coming out in a hot minute I thought I would do these first, and then get you all up to speed on what I saw, ate and did while I was away. Enjoy!

MAC is coming out with three new collections next week, two of which *really* tempted me. The first of which is In Extra Dimension which features metallic eyeshadows and skinfinishes in a new formula.

The skinfinishes aren’t quite as buttery as others in their same category–like Laura Mercier’s Rose Rendezvous or Estée Lauder’s Gelee powders–but they are very similar.

Superb Skinfinish- I would describe it as rose gold in color, highly metallic and shimmery.

Whisper of Gilt Skinfinish- A cooler gold highlighter. I don’t have anything similar to this, which is why it drew me in. It’s gold, but it leans more white gold than yellow gold.

T-B, L-R: MAC Superb, EL Modern Mercury, Guerlain Cruel Gardenia, EL Shimmering Sands, LM Rose Rendezvous

I know a BIG question would be, “How does Superb compare to all the other highlighters like it that have been released in recent months?” Well…here you go!

Swatches L-R (natural light): Cruel Gardenia, Shimmering Sands, Superb, Modern Mercury, Rose Rendezvous

Swatches L-R: (flash) Cruel Gardenia, Shimmering Sands, Superb, Modern Mercury, Rose Rendezvous

Superb is darker and more peach than Cruel Gardenia, and Shimmering Sands is much more brown and deeper in tone. Superb is *very* close to Modern Mercury and Rose Rendezvous. It’s slightly less sparkly than both but to some that’s probably a good thing since both Modern Mercury and Rose Rendezvous are highly metallic and very shimmery. In tone/color they are essentially the same, but Superb is slightly lighter than Laura Mercier and Estée Lauder. The texture of Superb is drier than both as well. It’s still very smooth and creamy, but not quite as much as the other two.

Clockwise from left: MAC Lightscapade, MAC By Candlelight, Estée Lauder Topaz Chameleon, MAC Whisper of Gilt

I already said that I don’t really have anything like Whisper of Gilt, but I did search my stash and wanted to compare a few things.

Swatches L-R (natural light): By Candlelight, Whisper of Gilt, Lightscapade, Topaz Chameleon

Swatches L-R (flash): By Candlelight, Whisper of Gilt, Lightscapade, Topaz Chameleon

As you can see none are particularly similar. The texture is more buttery than regular mineralize skinfinishes, but slightly less “melty” than the Estée Lauder formula.

I haven’t had time to test these out yet but I did want to get swatches up ASAP to help those who are trying to decide what to get. I have more things coming up, but I working fast to get lots of comparisons done too!

Are you eying anything up from the new collections?

40 Responses to “MAC In Extra Dimension: Skinfinishes!”

1. Amy D. says:

These are so pretty – love the designs! Thanks for the swatches! :)

I’m determined to get a few of the Reel Sexy Lipsticks before they sell out… I always miss the things I want from these new collections!

AMAZING swatches!! thanks for getting them up so fast and love the comparisons!! u have quite a great collection!!

3. Brandi says:

Thanks so much Danielle! Great comparisons. Hope you had a wonderful vacation and glad to have you back : )

Wow, you are quick girl! Beautiful swatches. It’s a good thing none of these really tempt me. Hallelujah!

Welcome back, Danielle!

Whisper of Gilt is my favorite. Thanks for the comparisons! I’m kind of tempted, haha.

6. Amanda B says:

you seriously have the best swatches ever! thanks for the comparisons!

7. Welcome back! This was incredibly helpful… I have to say, I haven’t jumped on the powder highlighter badwagon (god, that was a mouthful) yet– am stuck on cream highlighters. What are your thoughts cream v. powder? xo

Thanks Christine!
      I really like these “hybrid” powders (not cream or powder, but something kind of in between). But if we are talking straight up powders, I prefer cream highlighter. My all time favorite HG, never-fails highlighter is Jemma Kidd Dewy Glow in Rose Gold. :)

8. Welcome back! I can’t wait to read your vacation-related post! Thanks for getting these swatches out so quickly though, I think Whisper of Gilt needs to come home with me. =)

9. Annick says:

Ummm, I don’t know how it happened but I guess my subscription to you dumped me! I was reading your blog religiously and POOF, I stopped getting updates!

I caught up last night, thankfully!

Those highlighters seem beautiful but I’m always wary of using them on my face since I’m so oily. I’m also worried that they’ll spread all over my face during the day and I’ll look like a glitter ball. Are my fears irrational? Hahaha

I am so glad you are back Annick :) Weird stuff like that happens to me too, especially on Twitter.

I have oily skin myself, I can safely assure you that at the end of the day I don’t look like a glitter ball. Having said that I think application is key- I use the Sigma F35 highlighting brush which is perfect for even pigmented highlighters like these. :)

10. Dovey says:

Superb is lovely— I love a good rose gold :) The patterning on the skinfinish pan is also really pretty too!

11. BeautyLana says:

Wow! They are really nice!

12. I’ve pre ordered Whisper of gilt and Glrify! But also Blue orbit and Grand Galxy… the collection will launch next week and I’m really excited ^^^^^

Eeek! So exciting! You won’t be disappointed by the shadows or the skinfinishes-such a great texture!

13. […] Lauder Modern Mercury highlight powder but missed out? Look no further then! I compared these two here, and they are almost […]

14. Pretty! But I really don’t need any more highlighters. Too bad this didn’t come out a few months ago-I would have scooped it up then!

*sigh* I know…but whenever I see a glowy highlighter I get grabby hands!!! (as evidenced by this post)

15. BooBooNinja says:

Thank you for these swatches. It was exactly what I was looking for.
    And like Tracy, I don’t need any more highlighters. It’s still fun to look!

Yay! I know, I don’t need ANY more highlighters–but whenever I see something glowy I just get into this trance!

16. stephanie says:

I saw temptalias reviews for this and im eager to try it but it doesn’t release in the UK till after you guys in the US….

17. BooBooNinja says:

Which formula do you prefer — Cruel Gardenia or Superb?
    Which one would you say has the more “je ne sais quoi” highlighting quality (discounting the greater pigmentation of Superb)?
    I’m debating on whether to keep and use my currently untouched Cruel Gardenia or with either Superb or Whisper of Gilt. (I have Asian NC20/25 skin.)
    I’d appreciate any suggestions, readers! :)

Hmm, I’d say Guerlain’s formula is a bit better (more creamy)–of course it’s also double the price. The colors are so different so if you are after a darker shade (since Guerlain is so light) than maybe pick up Superb or Whisper of Gilt. Otherwise, the Guerlain one you have is certainly a treasure :)
      I like Whisper of Gilt because it is unique to my collection, but if someone made me get rid of one, hook or crook, I’d keep my Guerlain.

18. sara says:

Luv the swatches! Thank you:)

19. Awesome! Thanks for the swatches!!!

20. […] Superb is a very near dupe for Estee Lauder Modern Mercury, which I sadly missed out on… but to check out comparison swatches you can head over to visit Danielle at Bloomin’ Beauty! […]

21. RIYA AYLESHA says:

Them swatches look so gawjuss . i recently ordered whisper of guilt from MAC , and i am a NC35 in studio fix fluid , with yellow undertones , and i reckon this is the most versatille colour for all skin colours. The darker you are , the more intense you can build up the colour to achieve an more heavy highlighered glow .

Great swatches ! thanks