I got to thinking yesterday that it had been a bit of time since I last did a color themed post (one of my favorites to do actually). I put it out there on Twitter asking what colors I should do next and Arianne of Glitter Geek suggested Emeralds as one and I thought that would be a good place to start these off again (Tangerine is next on the agenda).

There are many variations of the Emerald shade, from bright and glowing to deep and blackened. Either way they are striking.

Emerald Polishes! L-R: China Glaze Gussied Up Green (gifted to me by lovely Jessica of Getting Cheeky), Zoya Holly, Zoya Ivanka, China Glaze Emerald Sparkle

All are sparkly. I should have considered NARS Zulu when choosing, but to be honest Zulu doesn’t exactly strike me as a jewel tone, but it would have provided some contrast to the very sparkly polishes above as it is more of a jelly consistency with no shimmer whatsoever.

L-R: China Glaze Emerald Sparkle, Zoya Ivanka, China Glaze Gussied Up Green, Zoya Holly

Too Faced Lucky Charms- from the Fun in the Dark palette.

Urban Decay Loaded and Kush from the NYC Palette

Nite Owl from the Kat Von D Tattoo Chronicles Vol. 1 palette (PS- I LOVE the packaging and names of the shadows for this palette and the quality is lovely)

Clockwise from left: L’Oreal Infallible in Emerald Lame (thank you Arianne!), Maybelline Color Tattoo in Edgy Emerald, Maybelline gel liner in Forest, Urban Decay 24-7 pencil in Graffiti.

Swatches with Flash L-R: UD Loaded, KatVonD Nite Owl, Too Faced Lucky Charms, US Kush, L’Oreal Emerald Lame, UD Graffiti, Maybelline Edgy Emerald, Maybelline Forest

Swatches in Natural Light L-R: UD Loaded, KatVonD Nite Owl, Too Faced Lucky Charms, US Kush, L’Oreal Emerald Lame, UD Graffiti, Maybelline Edgy Emerald, Maybelline Forest

I can’t say a bad thing about any of these liners or shadows. They all are pretty and unique in their own way. Also, if you really enjoy the Maybelline Forest liner it is pretty much a dead on dupe of the UD Loaded shade. I initially had them swatched right next to each other, and they were so similar I wouldn’t have been able to tell the difference if they weren’t different textures.

UD Loaded vs Maybelline Forest

What are your go to Emerald shades? Do you have any matte suggestions? I realized I don’t have a single matte-looking variation! Also, please feel free to leave your suggestions for upcoming colors. Tangerine is next, but I’d leave to hear what else you are interested in seeing! :)

17 Responses to “A Visit to Emerald City”

1. /dead.

I’ve been really into dark greens recently, so this post is <3. (Not that all of your posts aren't love, because they are, but this one even moreso.) I'm afraid I haven't a suggestion for your next colour, because my brain is now a pile of mush!

Maybelline Forest. I needs it.

2. OOooh, You’d love my MAC Sassy Green Shadow then. It’s matte and bright emerald green. Love green! I just don’t wear that often.

3. Victoria says:

These are SO beautiful! I’m definitely lacking greens in my collection and I’m pretty sure I have no emerald shade products in any category. This post inspires me!! :)

4. Amanda says:

omg i want the l’oreal Emerald Lame. I wis they had that color in the US! I love emerald greens…I love Rock and Republic Envy, Mac Humid, and I have my eyes on Nars Night Porter for my next green purchase!

5. Katelyn says:

Love these swatches!

6. Thanks for this perfectly timed blog! I just started wearing a green liner, and then I read a blog the other day on Mac’s Semi-Precious Dark Indulgence mineralized eyeshadow, which is emerald green, and have had very strong emerald green cravings for the past couple of days! I’ll give you an update on the Mac shadow when I get it, hopefully this weekend. xo Christine Brigid

7. Emi says:

So pretty! I’m trying to categorize & swatch all my makeup by shade to make it easier to remember what I have, and use it all.

I would love to see a post with coral or deep red – those are two of my favorites to wear!

8. femputer says:

oh my, i wish they had emerald lame in the US shade range! it’s gorgeous!

9. NoraBS says:

hey great post, iam so in love to L’Oreal Emerald Lame. kisss

Oh.M.G. Seeing all those gorgeous, mossy greens lined up next to each other is just sooo pretty <3 It's rare that I feel kinda compelled to stare at swatches!

11. stephanie says:

i like how you named this post… its intrueging to see what you included in this post =)

I LOVE emeralds, as well. That L’oreal is gorgeous. *off to find a friendly Canadian* Also, I meant to order Zoya Holly but accidentally ordered Rina instead, so now I have emerald bar glitter :P Ivanka also needs to be mine, but there is that silly ban :P

13. Summer says:

I love love love green at the moment, I just bought the most gorgeous green heels. In love.

14. Dovey says:

I actually imagined emerald city when seeing these colors :)

15. Elizabeth says:

I love this style of post! Can’t wait for Tangerine! :)

16. Mary Catherine says:

Not usually a fan of Maybelline but looks like I need to try Forest! If you want a very versatile green eyeliner, you ladies must buy Urban Decay’s Covet!!! I adore that one. It goes teal-ish when you wear it with purple or blue, spices up greys and browns and looks even better with true greens like UD’s Graffiti (the deluxe shadow has been discontinues but the 24/7 eyeshadow stick you posted is almost the same shade). As for polish–Watermelon Rind from China Glaze is to die for!! I wear it constantly and ALWAYS get compliments on it. I love all my greens–thanks for a great post!!