07. 01. 2012

Good Morning! I hope you are all having a great start to your weekend. The weather is so nice here; it’s hard to believe it’s January! It may call for going on a trek with the dogs ;) Do you have any fun things planned?

In addition to enjoying this little warm snap, I spent a little time gathering up some products that are so close to each other it’s difficult to tell them apart. I realize that I review quite a few higher end products on my blog and that it’s just not in everyone’s price range to buy those things. It wasn’t long ago that I felt paying more than $10 for a nail polish was insanity or paying $42 for a blush was outrageous, and believe me, my wallet still cries when I indulge. It’s with that sentiment in mind that I bring you the look for less! Similar products, huge price difference.

Revlon vs. Dior

I had actually purchased the Dior Addict lipstick in the shade It Pink prior to the release of the Revlon Lip Butters. Once they came out and I swatched them I was immediately struck by the similarity of the shade Sweet Tart to something I already owned. It turns out it’s just about as close a dupe as you could find to the Dior Addict lipstick. Packaging wise the Dior one is more luxe and is more unique, but I have to say I rather enjoy the packaging of the Revlon Lip Butters.

Revlon Sweet Tart vs Dior It Pink

It terms of shade and how they look on the lips they are identical. I cannot tell the difference by shade alone when I wear it. The formula is a bit different, though. The Dior Addict formula is more silky, feeling a bit more luxurious than the Revlon Lip Butter. They both give a glossy look and have similar wear time. Neither of them have a particularly strong scent, nearly undetectable to my nose at least.

Bottom Line:

Revlon Lip Butter- $6.49

Dior Addict Lipstick- $28.00

Revlon vs. Chanel

Another Revlon Lip Butter joins the party. Chanel released their Rouge Coco Shine lipsticks last spring and I purchased the shade Boy. To be honest, I rarely use it. The Rouge Coco Shine formula is not my favorite. It’s incredibly thin and I just feel if you are looking for a high end glossy lipstick there are so many other formulas that are better. That aside, Boy is a lovely color and I had hoped to someday find it in a better formula.

Revlon Peach Parfait vs Chanel Boy

The closest I have come so far is Revlon’s Peach Parfait. As a side note, I am NOT saying these are exact dupes. The photo speaks for itself. Boy is slightly more pink than Peach Parfait but I had to show this anyway for those who have had their eye on Boy but couldn’t swallow the high price or simply dislike the Rouge Coco Shine formula. Both have a glossy finish and have shimmer/sparkle. If Peach Parfait were slightly more mauve or pink it would be dead on. Depending on how pigmented your lips are, it might be closer when actually wearing it.

Bottom Line:

Revlon Lip Butter- $6.49

Chanel Rouge Coco Shine- $32.50

Sephora vs. Chanel

The moment I saw Sam from Pixiwoo use Chanel Illusion D’ombre shadow in Mirifique in one of their videos last fall I pined for the shade, but didn’t see it as something I would use often enough to warrant spending the Chanel price. I went to Sephora in search of the next best thing and truly believe I found it. That said, it didn’t satisfy my desire for Mirifique and I ended up purchasing it anyway.

Chanel Mirifique vs Sephora Glitter Black

I purchased Sephora’s Jumbo 12 hour pencil in Glitter Black. They are incredibly similar. Obviously the formula on each is different because one is a pencil and the other is in a pot. The shimmer and sparkle in Mirifique is superb and so many people say “No one does sparkle like Chanel” and in my experience that’s usually the case. However, the Sephora pencil lasts longer on me without primer and is easier to use. I can experience fall out with the Mirifique when blending and I don’t with the Sephora pencil. Overall, if you really wanted a black sparkly base the Sephora pencil will do just fine. If you are picky about your sparkle, Mirifique does not disappoint.

Bottom Line:

Sephora Jumbo 12 Hour Pencil- $10

Chanel Illusion D’Ombre- $36

Revlon vs Deborah Lippmann

Now, before I go into these two dupes I have to state my humble opinion about companies making exact copies of another company’s products. Revlon has been doing this with their nail polish for awhile now. I totally get that not everyone can or wants to pay the price for Deborah Lippmann or Chanel polishes. I can appreciate a company offering trendy shades in the drugstore for a lot less coin. BUT, it seems incredibly unfair and uncreative to downright steal the exact shade from another company. Just think of how you would feel if you came up with a brilliant idea and then someone comes after you, duplicates your idea and undercuts you in price and you lose a huge market share. It wouldn’t feel that great, would it? Again, this is simply my opinion. I prefer companies who constantly come up with their own unique ideas rather than just piggy-backing on someone else’s. /rant

Revlon Whimsical vs Deborah Lippmann Glitter in the Air

Revlon duplicated Deborah Lippmann’s shade, only there is more glitter in the Revlon version and you can see the difference on the nails here. In terms of wear time I prefer Deborah Lippmann because they just last longer on my nails. Whimsical seemed to go on easier than Glitter in the Air, though. I do prefer the packaging of Deborah Lippmann; her bottles are the prettiest! The shade is the same and no one would be able to tell the difference, other than the added glitter particles.

Bottom Line:

Revlon Whimsical- $4.99

Deborah Lippmann Glitter in the Air- $18.00

Have you discovered any good dupes lately? Do tell!

60 Responses to “The Look for Less”

1. Great post! Yeah, I’m with you on companies that make exact dupes of products. I think that’s not cool.

Thanks Tracy! I understand both sides, but personally I feel some sort of way about a company who just does the “copy/paste” method. :/

2. Oh my! This is a fantastic dupe post, Danielle – I can’t believe you found so many! :o

I have to say, though, I think I’m on the other side of the spectrum from you & Tracy when it comes to exact dupes. They help put pressure on high-end companies to keep up their quality and packaging, in my eyes; it’s a sort of “we can do it for $20 less, so what are you going to do to keep customers buying your version?”

Far as I’m concerned, if the original company can’t figure out a way to keep the customer coming back at that higher price point (whether it’s formula, wear time, scent, packaging…), it’s on them!

Thanks Rae! Oh, good point! It certainly does add pressure to keep churning out products worthy of the higher expense!

Great comparisons, Danielle! I find it kind of amusing that it appears Dior’s formula > Revlon > Chanel in terms of the balmy lip products. I think I may have to try a Dior Addict after all – the Revlon colors don’t really appeal to me.

I kind of agree with Rae on the subject of dupes, though. Yeah, the higher end companies are innovative, but their price is so much higher, there needs to be justification for it. Also, half the people who buy Revlon wouldn’t ever spring for Chanel, ever, so it’s nice to see that they have an opportunity to buy edgy, new colors as well. And it’s not just beauty; you see the same thing in leather goods, for example – high end brands come up with great bag designs, and mass market companies knock them off. Most people aren’t purchasing the “cheaper dupe” in order to pretend to have Chanel, they just want a nice, affordable bag that is still on trend. If people didn’t throw as much importance on the designers and count on them for their “fashion forward” directions, dupes wouldn’t be a business, but…there it is.

I agree, Larie. As I stated, I totally get people not wanting to spend $$$ on more expensive items if there is a cheaper alternative. However, something just doesn’t sit right with me in a moral sense when you just copy, copy, copy. Instead of getting inspired by it, you know? It’s like doing a research paper, having some photocopy it and hand it in as their own idea/work. But, I can appreciate a drugstore brand trying to keep up with trends, I just wish they would be more creative themselves.

Forgot to say, thanks dear! Yes Dior is better than Chanel in this formula. Revlon is somewhere in the middle. Although my heart still belongs to Burberry ;)

4. Victoria says:

WOW the dior addict dupe is almost exactly the same! This is such a great post because oftentimes I feel like there’s makeup snobbery against drugstore/lowend brands but this post shows that sometimes they can be just as good if not better! Definitely agree on the outright copying of a shade though, but oftentimes there’s still differences like with Revlon Perplex and Chanel Paradoxal

Thanks Victoria! I know, I get caught up in that sometimes myself. But I am always happy to share when I feel something of lower cost is just as good! True, there are almost always nuances in the “dupes” like you said.

5. Lisa T says:

This isn’t an exact dupe, but I realized Color Club’s Fashion Addict is similar, but a bit lighter than OPI DS Diamond. Instead of paying the eBay prices for OPI DS Diamond since it has been discontinued, I recommend Color Club’s Fashion Addict because it was way more affordable & the holo effect pretty much the same! & from what I have tried, Fashion Addict only need 2 coats while DS Diamond needed 3/4 because Fashion Addict was thicker & easier to apply while DS Diamond was sheer so I needed to pack on the brush with polish!

6. Victoria says:

this is a seriously great post! if you find any more dupes remember to show us ;)

7. Danielle says:

I have been searching all over for the Revlon lip butters , but no store close to me sells them.

Aww! I know more and more stores are coming out with permanent displays. I have seen them at Walgreens, Target, Ulta and CVS. I believe they have also been spotted at Walmart now too. I hope you can get your hands on them soon! :)

great post danielle! i played a little game each time and tried to see if i could pick out the high end swatch before reading the caption and i won every time! haha. but i agree with you on the copying. although i see and understand Rae and larie’s perspective, i still grumble when i see such thievery. that is one reason why one of my beauty resolutions is to save up for the real deal rather than spend money on the copy cat! i want to put my money towards the brand who deserves it (quality over quantity!). fine that not everyone thinks this way though, just what i personally want to stick to.

You have a great eye, Kelly! ;) I can understand the argument for budget-friendly products, I really do. BUT (there is always a but) I feel like you with the idea stealing. I want to give my money to the person who actually had to come up with the idea. Taking inspiration is different than out and out copying. Quality over quantity indeed! :) Love your philosophy dear!

9. Destinee says:

Wonderful post! These are ALL spot on and really great options.

10. diane says:

what can I say? another great post Danielle.very helpful.Now I just have to wait for the Revlon lip butters to bring their prettiness over here to Ireland as they’re still not available here. Grr. But once they get here I’ll be sure to pick up the 2 featured here especially Peach Parfait.it looks similiar to my favorite lipstick- 17 mirrorshine in Belle but it looks gorgeous so i don’t mind owning two simliar lippies.the mroe the merrier right?

As for your opinion about companies producing products that were copied, well when you put it that way I just have to agree with you.I haven’t given it much thought.I always thought it was great because it allowed girls like me who can’t afford expensive products the chance to be trendy aswell but I suppose we can still be trendy using original colors produce by companies like Revlon. – having said that though Revlon polishes are quite expensive despite being a drugstore brand. Here in Ireland a bottle will set you back 9 euro per bottle. Pretty shades though so I suppose I can’t complain too much. :D

Ahh, yes! I like the 17 Mirrorshines a lot! Belle is a lovely shade! :) I hope you get the Lip Butters there soon. I really do think it’s nice to offer a chance for everyone to own a trendy shade, but at the same time I feel a little pit in my stomach about the thievery.

Awesome post! Those Revlon Lip Butters are so fantastic I had a feeling there were many dupes and near-dupes among them :) I got Whimsical and I’m really glad I didn’t spring for Glitter in the Air because it just doesn’t work on me! Rae made a fabulous point about demanding higher quality from the pricier brands through upward pressure in the market <3

12. Katy says:

I really enjoyed this post! I like to see comparisons of high end and drug store brands.. If I can achieve similar looks and save money while I do it, I’m there. But I do agree with you about the idea stealing. It’s shady business and totally unfair. A+ post. :)

13. Ashley says:

This post just created too many lemmings *sigh*

I remember reading up on higher end brands making nail polishes and when their copy right was over, other brands could take the formula and colour and resell for less? It was something along those lines. It only bothers me that Revlon doesn’t come up with their own spectacular shades. I like that there are more affordable options out their in drugstores but there’s too much repetition. Give us more variety!!!

14. Kristi says:

Some good points made for & against dupes. Dupes occur all the time in the world of fashion. I don’t see it as any different in the world of makeup. I like the option of picking up a more fashion forward color without having to drop major $$ for it if I don’t want to. I do think that high-end brands need to keep the quality up to continue charging the upscale prices. It isn’t enough just because (insert high end name here) is on the label. Are there some things that are worth the high $$? Absolutely!

For those that don’t have the luxury of budgeting for high dollar makeup, I think it’s great that they have the option of still being fashionable while doing it on a budget. Could the drugstore brands be more creative, yes. Are some of the drugstore brands owned by the same companies they are doing dupes of? In some cases, yes. Especially in those cases – why spend the R & D dollars for their lower end lines? It’s a business decision. They can capture a piece of the upscale market as well as a piece of the drugstore market. What company doesn’t want a bigger piece of the market?
    To quote Charles Caleb Colton: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I totally agree that having a budget option is excellent, but I don’t necessarily feel like imitation is the sincerest form of flattery all the time. Sometimes I think it’s the sincerest form of laziness. I have had ideas “taken” from me before and not given credit and it doesn’t feel at all flattering, it feels like theft. Now if someone is inspired by something and gives credit it’s extremely flattering. Just my two cents on it :)

• Kristi says:

I will say that I view copying at the corporate level (Revlon, etc.) & at the individual level as 2 very different animals. I realize that some may say that that is semantics. Perhaps I’m jaded & have come to expect that it just happens in the corporate world.

I am sorry that you have had ideas taken & were not given credit where credit was due. : ( I agree with your assertion that that is theft.

• yessie says:

that’s a excellent quote Kristi!! I agree :)

15. Jenn says:

Great post!
    For some reason I notice that Revlon dupes a lot of their products off the high ones..

16. BooBooNinja says:

This is a great dupe post! Thank you. Please do more of these in the future.

17. Tiffany says:

I love dupe posts! Dior It Pink and Revlon Sweet Tart totally look like dupes! I have Peach Parfait but for some reason, I still want Chanel Boy ;)

18. isabella says:

ooh i totally love dior addict lipsticks <3 and thanks for the chanel boy swatch since i feel like i can skip it now xD and i do agree that it totally sucks when companies literally copy an idea but at the same time, i don't necessarily think that they're taking away from their market share by doing so since most of the people who buy the dupe most likely were not going to buy the original since those who wanted to buy the original would most likely end up getting the original anyways. in addition, i feel like revlon produces quality dupes and when i see side-by-side comparisons i actually prefer the revlon version over the original and then at that point it makes me not want to buy the original because i would rather invest in something that cannot be duped which is why it's worth the high price tag imo

That’s true. Some of the people who buy the dupe may never have considered buying the original. However, usually formulas aren’t duped, but colors can be. Deborah Lippmann’s formula (and the Dior Addict) are both superior to their color-dupe counter parts. So I don’t necessarily mind shelling out a bit more cash if the product itself boasts a higher quality (wears longer, is more moisturizing, etc.) But again, I totally see the value in creating a budget-friendly product for those who do not want to pay the extra money but still want a trendy shade. Thanks for your thoughtful input! :)

19. Vita says:

Such a great post for those of us on a budget. More of these please! xoxo

20. Ooooh, all the more reason for me to get the Revlon Lip Butters!

As far as the Lippmann and duping issue goes, I’m a bit on the fence. I think Rae made an excellent point, and I think it’s similar to the issue of budget airlines – companies didn’t really lose market share when budget airlines entered the market, it simply opened up a whole new market. So the full service airlines still have high market share, and the budget airlines have great market share because now we have people that can fly who couldn’t before. I think it’s the same sort of thing here, because I never would pay the full price for a Lippmann polish but I’d certainly get the Revlon one :) I can understand how it’s a bit grey as far as ethics are concerned though.

So true! I guess what I should say is that it’s really to me, a lot like someone writing a brilliant research paper (doing all the work) and having someone who is lazy come along, photocopy it and hand it in as their own. That’s how I view it when it’s out and out copying. Taking inspiration is one thing, but that’s not what Revlon does, unfortunately. But, I can see the other side of it that some do not want to pay (or it’s not in their budget) the high end prices. It’s a double edged sword all the way around, unfortunately.

21. Such great dupes! I’m glad that I don’t have too many Chanels and Diors now, though nothing quite beats the rush of having been on the first wave of an edgy new trend. :)

22. I totally agree – I think Revlon also made an attempt at Bad Romance from Deb Lippmann, but it’s nowhere near as good. Really disappointing when mass brands outright steal ideas. Great post!

I feel the same!! I hope that Revlon will start churning out some of their own good ideas, rather than just piggy backing on Deborah Lippmann and Chanel! :)

23. AngelaaQ says:

Such a great dupe post, you can save a lot of money. Thanks for sharing. xx

24. yessie says:

I love dupe posts. I agree that in someway it’s wrong to copy a higher brands colors, but in this economy..i’m guilty if looking for dupes in many of the products i long for:(

the Revlon one and the Chanel Ombre/Sephora are soon to be mine!!

Great post!!!

25. Marina says:

I agree but at the same time I do not agree, haha​​.
    The thing is, the Deborah Lippmann makes a wonderful nail polish, but is very expensive.
    I am Brazilian, I do not have international credit card and for me it is very difficult to bought imported.
    Now I find Revlon at drugstores, for example.
    Not to mention that the prices of Revlon worth much more the cost and benefit is great.
    But at the same time, if I make a very beautiful nail polish, here comes someone and copy exactly the same color, only sells cheaper.
    I do not like, so I can not decide, is a very complicated issue.
    Anyway, the two are identical and beautiful.
    Loved the blog, if you can visit and comment on mine! (www.dedosm-agicos.blogspot.com.) Kisses for you !

26. Amy D. says:

This is such a fantastic post! Seeing these kinds of comparisons is so helpful for this college girl! I always drool over these high-end products when I’m shopping, but it’s so nice to see that some of the ones I love have cheaper dupes! Thanks!

27. […] toque final os dejo una entrada en la que he visto dupes muy interesantes de algunos productos: The Look for Less de Bloomin´ […]

28. Natt says:

I got the Dior addict extreme. The texture is the same Revlon Lip butter (lol), only dior is last longer. Good comparison though.

29. […] to BloominBeautyBlog again to see what Danielle says about Peach Parfait and Sweet Tart and their similarity to shades from prestige brands.  While I bought these shades because I think they are lovely for spring and summer, it’s […]

30. […] to BloominBeautyBlog again to see what Danielle says about Peach Parfait and Sweet Tart and their similarity to shades from prestige brands.  While I bought these shades because I think they are lovely for spring and summer, it’s […]

31. […] to BloominBeautyBlog again to see what Danielle says about Peach Parfait and Sweet Tart and their similarity to shades from prestige brands.  While I bought these shades because I think they are lovely for spring and summer, it’s […]