02. 01. 2012

I know. New Year’s Resolutions. What’s that saying about pie crust promises? Easily made, easily broken? Yeah, that’s pretty much what resolutions are. Except, I feel like when you write something down you are holding yourself at least slightly more accountable. AND, if you write it down and publish to your blog that’s one step further, right? Ok, so this post is a bit of a larf, but I really do mean to do these things in 2012.

Get Organized Get More Organized Stay Organized

Source Credit: Google

Althought my home still needs a bit more organization, I improved that significantly in 2011. My problem was the staying organized. I need to develop better habits of putting things right back after I use them (makeup, for example). I plan to follow through on this because I am much more relaxed at home when things are in their proper place.

Eat Healthy(er)

Source Credit: Google

Another area I firmly improved on in 2011, but want to kick up several notches in 2012; eating fresh whenever I can and venturing out in to more and more recipes and things that I haven’t tried. I was more adventurous than ever this past year in the food arena, and hope to be even more so this year. I added a strict work out regime this year that I (mostly) faithfully followed. We have several pieces of workout equipment in our home, so there is no excuse to NOT do it anymore (like it’s too cold so I don’t want to drive to the gym-actual excuse I used before).

I think what will help is planning meals out better in advance. I have a notebook dedicated and plan to do this every week. Another thing food related: don’t buy too much in advance. I feel like I wasted more food than I should have this year by buying the food well before I needed to make something, froze it and then forgot I had it and it ended up with frost all over. No more of that!

Return my Netflix discs more than once every 30 days (sad truth: one of the discs I have had now for almost two months. Waste of money!!!)

Be smarter less impulsive with my makeup purchases

Just one of my blush drawers.... -__-

The sad truth is that I have too much makeup, and I say that tongue in cheek because can a makeup lover really have too much? I don’t know, but I do know that if I thought about purchases more I wouldn’t end up with shades that look EXACTLY the same on the cheek (ok, maybe not in a swatch but on the face I bet the difference is slight, if any). The same goes for eyeshadows, lipsticks, etc. I see a pretty shade and I instantly think, “oooh, I MUST HAVE THAT.” When instead I should be thinking, “OOOh, what do I have that’s similar?” I will try to see things in person whenever possible, because that usually deters me from purchasing something that I don’t really need. In summary, I plan to make my purchases count more and only pick up things that are excellent, and nothing less. Because as a makeup collection grows, the margin of acceptability for the mediocre is slim to none. At this stage of the game I am familiar with what I like, know what I don’t like and need to stick with my gut instinct.

Join a Charitable Cause

Because I want to be part of something bigger than myself. I feel like I will gravitate towards the Humane Society because of my love for animals, or Habitat for Humanity because I love hands-on work. I have previously volunteered in my community but would like something more permanent. It’s win-win the way I look at it.

Travel More, and Often

I was lucky to go on a few trips last year, noteably to New Orleans and I am going back in March. My dream trip of 2012? Argentina or Southeast Asia. Remains to be seen what will happen. :)

The beach I was on 1 year ago this week! :) (Florida!)

Did you make any resolutions this year? I would love to hear them!

17 Responses to “In 2012, I Will….”

WOW your blushes are organized BEAUTIFULLY!!!!!! I made the same resolution but started mid 2011, and though a few Sephora hauls got in the way overall it was far more successful, money wise, and better for overall to realize having 31 dupes of that perfect cheek color is not necessary for my life. Save the money for travel girl!! :)

2. Alex says:

Great list, Danielle! I’ve been trying to be more realistic about makeup and purchasing limited edition goodies too. Good luck with everything!

3. Jen says:

New Orleans is on my list this year! It’s my favorite place in the world and I’m pretty well traveled so that’s saying something. I also am on the smarter makeup purchases list too. I really need to be better with not buying in excess! Good luck!

4. JC says:

Oh my lord, what a beautiful blush drawer. I am trying to be less impulsive with my purchases this year too… *especially* makeup. I don’t even know how I convince myself to buy makeup when I’m actually such a minimalist. Foundation, eyeliner, lipstick, mascara and I usually call it a day. I have no idea how I own 948393 blushes or eyeshadows.

5. isabella says:

o woww your organization looks amazing!!! i’m tempted to reorganize my room cuz i really hate my setup rite now (not to mention i have limited space to work with xD)

6. Paris B says:

Ooh I have to agree with #1 – I get organized but always fail to stay that way. Shall have to work on it too! And I spy another blush fiend! *high 5* :D

I saw that South East Asia is on your travel list. If you do come here be sure to look me up! I have to meet at least ONE of my bandity ladies at least ONCE! :D

7. Great list! And it’s kind of comforting to know that someone besides me has more than 1 blush drawer ;] I really need to stay organised, get healthier and spend smarter in 2012 too.

8. Dovey says:

These are all such good well rounded goals! (And OMG the blush drawer…. <3) Joining a charitable cause is such a thoughtful resolution. I think I'd like to do something similar— I have a soft spot for homeless animals too.

9. jessica says:

Too funny! Great list

10. Alison M says:

I found a much more efficient way to grocery shop this past year: Go through the sales ad and plan 7 dinners based on the produce that is on sale that week. Now obviously not every meal will end up using those foods, but if the majority do then we are eating healthier and cheaper! I’m also working on putting a “Need, Want, Drools From Afar” section in my blog so I stop with the impulse buying (most recently the Bouncy Blushes, hahaha!) and start researching things first XD Best of luck, girl!

11. Victoria says:

Although my stash isn’t quite as large as yours I definitely have been feeling overwhelmed by the amount of makeup I have. I have also found that swatching products in store tends to kill lemmings for me. My makeup resolution for 2012 is to not buy any new makeup/NP/fragrance until I have used up another item in the same category (like if I use up a lipstick I can get another lippie). I also want those replacements to be only the best because I have so much mediocre makeup. I also want to do a makeup blogsale or something similar to get rid of items I barely use. If I stick to my goal I think I’ll reward myself with a nice pair of shoes or a bag at the end of 2012 :)

12. Jenn A. says:

Totally hear you when it comes to being smarter about make-up purchases! I know I have more than I could ever use of pretty much everything, and yet I still have the strong urge to keep buying more.

13. Sabrina says:

That blush drawer makes me want more blushes!!!!!!!! I’m trying to be smarter with my purchasing too though :-(

14. BLUSH drawer! Look like one of mine! ;)
    I have a list of things as well, top priority being getting healthy!
    Good luck with your girl! :)

15. Well, now I want to know exactly how many blushes you have. ;)

Great resolutions! Everything except eating healthier and Netflix is on my list, too. Staying organized is SO DIFFICULT. And I’m definitely thinking less makeup/more travel for 2012.