Once upon a time (just a few months ago) I was actually quite afraid of wearing a bold red lip. I admired them from afar, never quite taking the plunge into wearing something so striking. That has all changed…starting…NOW.

Red, by Chanel

After seeing countless holiday looks and reviews on different reds I opted for two shades from Chanel. The new Rouge Allure Extrait de Gloss in Triomphal, and the Rouge Allure Laque in Dragon (soon to be discontinued). I fell for Triomphal as soon as I put it on. A gorgeous red with a shot of pink; it’s so utterly wearable for me. I had tried Dragon on a few times at the counter before, never picking it up because I feared that I (although I loved the color) would never reach for it. Now, being spurred on by the fact that this shade has been discontinued and the endless praise this shade gets from ultra-blogger Christine from Temptalia, I decided it was time to give in. And oh, I am SO glad I did.

L-R: Triomphal, Dragon

They are different in shade and different in formula. Triomphal is a gloss (verging on a lipstick) and has a to-die-for formula and texture. Dragon is like a liquid lipstick meets a lip stain. It’s very long wearing. It has noticeable fading after 3 hours, but leaves a nice red stain on for at least 2 more after that, making it perfect for those upcoming holiday parties. Triomphal doesn’t last quite that long, but definitely has better wear time than a lot of my other glosses do. Granted, most reds end up staining my lips for longer than any other color, so keep that in mind when judging these.

Chanel Dragon Lip Swatch

Chanel Triomphal Lip Swatch

FOTD with Chanel Triomphal

FOTD with Chanel Dragon

You can see how Triomphal is so easy to wear, but Dragon just gives that va-va-voom feel.

Have you found your perfect red lipstick? Would you be able to brave wearing a shade like Dragon around town? Personally, I am loving it!

40 Responses to “Lip Service: Red by Chanel”

1. Rai says:

All colors look amazing on you! :)

2. Those are both beautiful shades of red and look like they belong on your face! You suit them so much. Love your eye makeup too :)

Nic x

GORGEOUS. I love the gold eyes you paired the lips with, too!

4. They’re discontinuing it? I guess I should finally get one too!
    They both look AMAZING on you! Just perfect!
    P.S.–what ‘s the gold on your eyes in the last pic? NEED.

5. Dragon is exactly what I think of when people say “lacquered lip” — ITS BEAUTIFUL. So sad it’s being discontinued!

I know! I can’t believe they would take such an iconic shade away from us! Hopefully they are going to bring the color back, maybe in a different formulation?

Dragon looks BEAUTIFUL on you. It’s the perfect, classic 1940s red.

7. OMG, Dragon is absolutely stunning!

Do you have dry lips? Do you find Dragon to be drying at all?

!!! I know, every time I look at Dragon, I swoooon! I don’t really have dry lips so I don’t know how helpful I can be on that, but I don’t find this drying either. I wore it today (all day) and didn’t feel the need to use balm or gloss. :)

Triomphal- ultimate Chanel red pink lip splurge that is actually WORTH IT!!! =D
    amazing photos of you wearing them with the full face of make up
    Dragon really is more va va va voom!!! Discontinued, I never thought I would pick it up, but always enjoyed the option =(

Glad you got both and are enjoying em

I know! Triomphal is SO worth it! I feel like Dragon is too. You are right, I just liked having the option of being able to pick it up. Faced with that, I knew I had to get it or I would end up regretting it eventually. *le sigh* thanks hun!!!!

Pardon my French, but — faaaaaaaaaahrrrrrggghh you look sooo sooo good wearing Dragon. LOL that’s not really French, is it?

I need to get my hands on Dragon for birthday month.

Thank you Arianne! I bet she will look STUNNING on you!!!

• Arianne says:

I have to say, though, that the fiancé will absolutely HATE Dragon, because

1) it’s red, and
        2) it’s shiny. He says it’s like you ate something greasy and forgot to wipe your mouth. LOL

OMG LOL!!!! The boy has weird quirks about certain makeup items too. Usually he likes everything that looks more “natural” but he surprised me when he complimented me when I wore this! He liked it!

10. Ashley says:

Sweeeeet va-va-voom, Dragon is deliciously gorgeous! Both reds wear amazing on you!

Ahhhhhhhhh excuse me while I DIE!!!!! I need Triomphal!!!!! I’m torn about Dragon, but if I found one I’d buy it for suuuuure! =D Both look fantastic on you, darling. <3

These look so beautiful on you! You’re a good advert for them :) Like me you ran out and got them when you heard they’re being discontinued, eh?

Yes, exactly! I had thought and thought and thought about getting it but feared I would never use it. I am glad we both got one before it was too late! Can’t wait to see it on you!

13. Courtney says:

Omg! Dragon looks GORGEOUS on you!

gorgeous! i so love triomphal on you. so wearable. sad dragon is to be discontinued, i know a lot of people love it. it seems so rich.

15. Both colors look gorgeous on you but I’m also loving your shimmery eyeshadow in the last photo with Dragon! May I ask what shade that is?

16. Such a gorgeous red! I am not sure if I can sport it comfortably though……I am still in admire from afar stage :)

17. Yay I love Dragon! It looks AWESOME on you :D

18. [...] my favorite reds is done by the amazing Danielle, creator of Bloomin’ Beauty.  She recently posted a few beautiful photos using red shades done by Chanel.  While I didn’t use the same [...]

19. [...] my favorite reds is done by the amazing Danielle, creator of Bloomin’ Beauty.  She recently posted a few beautiful photos using red shades done by Chanel.  While I didn’t use the same [...]