01. 11. 2011

Essie Cocktail Bling Collection

Essie’s winter collection, Cocktail Bling, is a newer and more modern take on winter nails. All named and inspired by, as the names imply, bling. A touch of grey in all of the colors makes them feel oh so new and different this time around. All of them were smooth and easy to apply. I tend to have more difficulty with lighter shades, but Essie really nailed this formula (ha ha) and even Bangle Jangle and Cocktail Bling went on like buttah!

Essie Size Matters

Not quite a classic red, but definitely a favorite among reds I have tried. Usually reds on my nails are scary to me. I feel like they draw a lot of attention and honestly I prefer more coral and pink shades. But, this is enough to convert to wearing reds.

Essie Bangle Jangle

Like a mix between dove grey and lavender, this shade is pretty unique to my collection. As I said earlier it applied smoothly and without a fuss. It’s a feminine shade without being too spring-like. It will be easy to wear this winter.

Essie School of Hard Rocks

Ahhh!!! This shade was one of the two that I was looking forward to the most. Like a muted grey mixed with blue spruce tree, this is tied for being a star of the collection. I can see myself wearing this all winter long with no problems. It’s not a light shade nor is it too dark which is one of the reasons I like it so much.

Essie Cocktail Bling

I hope the pictures are allowing you to tell the difference between Cocktail Bling and Bangle Jangle. Cocktail Bling is light blue in undertone vs being lavender. This was a shade that I didn’t care for when seeing swatches initially. But as I saw it more and more it began to grow on me. There is something utterly chic about it and I can’t help but be drawn to it.

Essie Bobbing for Baubles

This is the other polish that was tied for the top spot in this collection. Essie describes this as “deepest darkest sapphire” and while I love the shade I have to respectfully disagree with that description. It is a highly greyed/slate infused blue that looks nothing like any sapphire I have ever seen. But it’s a gem in it’s own right. I love it.

The only shade of this collection I did not purchase was a camel/nude toned polish called Brooch the Subject. I didn’t have any craving for another nude polish so I skipped it. If I happen across a swatch that makes me think I want it I may indulge. For now, I am liking the more colorful options in the collection.

Have you checked out Essie’s new winter collection yet? What are your thoughts??

22 Responses to “The New Look of Bling.”

Danielle your swatches make these polishes look all the more drool worthy! (If only my nail beds were as perfect as yours!) I know you touched on the differences between Cocktail Bling and Bangle Jangle, but I’m wondering whether you think they’re both a must or if you’d recommend one over another?

Aww, thanks dear! I can’t take credit for my nail beds as I’m sure that’s a genetic thing. LOL.
      I prefer Cocktail Bling to Bangle Jangle. I wasn’t interested in the shade initially, I only got it because it came in the set. I do like it, but my preference pulls to Cocktail Bling after wearing them both. :)

• Jessica says:

I’m trying to be reasonable about which polishes I purchase from this collection because I could quite frankly get them all … I just don’t need that much! (Do I ever?) I trust your opinion so I’m definitely going with Cocktail Bling!

I know what you mean. I liked getting the mini cube for $8.50 because that breaks the cost down immensely. I wish all companies did the mini thing for all or most of their polishes. I never use up a polish and if I could pay $3 for a mini instead of $8 for a full size I would happily do it 90% of the time. I change my nail color so often that it hardly justifies a full bottle unless I love the shade (enter Sephora by OPI Go With the Flow-er or OPI A True Ab-Original, both of which warrant owning a full size).

Bangle Jangle and Cocktail Bling I must find!!!!! thanks for amazing swatches as always!

ahhh i want this whole collection! i will wait until i go to my nail polish supply store with my friend though so i can get it half priced.

Ahhh! Yes! It is a lovely one. Yeah I couldn’t pass up the half off deal on Transdesign. Even with the shipping it was a great deal of savings per bottle for me. At least $3 off! I hope you can find them all in store for half off too, it makes it less painful to the wallet! ;)

4. Hard Rocks and Bobbing for Bobbles = right up my alley. Thanks for swatching!

5. NoraBS says:

yeah i love cocktail bling great color

6. Alison M says:

Bobbing for Baubles reminds me of Sonia Kashuk’s Blank Slate. Do you agree? I’ve not tried Essie polish but have been loving the colors lately. How do they differ from SK?

Hmm, I think Essie’s formula overall is probably thinner than Sonia Kashuk. I would say that I like the way they both apply, but there are some Essie polishes that are thicker and therefore harder to work with. I have never been let down by a Sonia Kashuk polish, but there have been some Essie that have disappointed me. Blank Slate is definitely more grey than Bobbing for Baubles is, but I can see the resemblance.

7. Oh really love that first shade! I can’t ever get enough reds :)

Oooh, Bangle Jangle looks amazing <3 I wasn't impressed with anybody else's swatches of these but you made 'em look good, girl!

Ha! Well, I take my pictures in direct sunlight and this is how they genuinely look in the daylight on me at least. No magic tricks or photoshop enhancement here. Just good old sunlight ;)

9. Aseya says:

Size Matters looks gorgeous!!

10. Hey, how come your swatches look so much better than these do on my actual nails?!??? lol I’m gonna have to give these guys another try!

LOL! I take my pictures in direct sunlight whenever I can, and to me this is how they look during the day time on my nails. I think too, that skin tone can play a big part in how something looks on one person vs another. I hope you can make them work for you! ;)