It’s almost Friday; I can hear bells ringing and choirs singing. Yeah, weekends really are *that* good. Anywho…I have had a major makeup dilemma brewing for quite some time. I have yet to find my perfect nude lipstick. Nope, haven’t found it. I have tried many recommendations from fellow bloggers, wandered around Sephora, Ulta, and various makeup counters and haven’t spotted “the one.” Either I don’t like the formula (I’m looking at you YSL) or the color is too pinky (MAC Shy Girl) or makes me look dead (MAC Viva Glam Gaga 2). There are several more I have tried in between there…and some I still like (MAC Creme d Nude, Revlon Just Enough Buff) but they aren’t my *perfect* shade. The closest I have come right out of the tube is MAC’s Freckletone, which incidentally is probably my most used MAC lipstick. I like my nude lipsticks to be peachy-brown…which is how Freckletone looks on me. It *is* a great shade on it’s own…but I thought I would give it a little bit of a mix session with some other lip products and see what would come of it.

Photo Story time! Beware…super up close pictures of my lips coming up!

Au Naturel

I started with bare lips and a bit of Korres Jasmine Lip Butter for moisture.

Adding Liner

Then I added MAC’s In Synch and Naked lip liners. I just dabbed it on with my fingers rather than drawing intense, bold lines on my lips.

Adding Freckletone

Then I added Freckletone. Ahh, we are getting so close to ideal shade territory!

Gloss it up

For the final step and nude lip perfection I reached for MAC’s lipglass in Evolution Revolution.

I love how this turned out. And even with the lipglass it’s surprisingly not sticky! It must be he combination of everything that takes the sticky away because normally lipglass drives me mad.

FOTD with the newly found perfect nude

I am still on my search for the one tube that does it all and have a few contenders in mind (Burberry Romantic Rose, NARS Belle du Jour) that I want to try next. (Side note, this picture washed out the color of the nude lip a bit. It’s more accurate in the up close pic)

And gratuitous mirror shot, because I kinda like the way it looked for some reason.

Mirror Shot

There you have it. What’s your favorite nude lipstick/lipgloss combo? Are you even a nude lip fan? Dish!

28 Responses to “Mix It Up: A Photo Story.”

1. I love your pics Danielle! And I am jealous of your lips-they are the perfect shade for nudes this shade. Mine are so berry pigmented that I can’t really wear nudes unless they are more pinky. Probably MAC Blankety would be so far the best one, but like you I am still searching!

Thanks Tracy! Having less pigmented lips can be a blessing at times, but I am jealous that you are able to wear nothing on your lips and still look like you’ve got something going on! I am glad I am not the only who struggles with finding the perfect nude shade! It is endless!

2. Alison M says:

Mirror shot is awesome :)

I still haven’t found my perfect nude either! Unfortunately for me, my lips are a lot more deeply pigmented than yours so nude colors tend to mute my natural lip without the actual product color showing much. Back in my office days, I concealed lined and colored. But these days I want to swipe and go. Someday, oh perfect nude, you will be mine!

Yay for the mirror shot! LOL. I don’t know why I liked it…because it’s off focus, but it struck me! Sometimes pigmented lips are such a blessing though. When you don’t feel like putting anything on, it still looks like you have color! :D

3. Rai says:

Pretty! My favorite combo is NYX Tea & NYX Tanned or MAC Freckletone & NARS Giza.

You know you have some amazing cheekbones girl!

*blushes* thanks Rai! ;)

Adding NYX Tea & Tanned to my must try list!!! I will have to check out Giza at Sephora. It seems like NARS has some good nude shades actually.

4. Sabrina says:

You look gorgeous in these! I still haven’t found my perfect nude lip look either and if I weren’t beauty obsessed I would give up… ;-)

Thanks Sabrina!!! So many people haven’t found their perfect shade….it’s nice knowing I am not the only one who struggles with this!

5. Rachel Davidsona says:

I usually like bold pinks and peaches, but seeing this, i will definitely try nude!!!

Yay! Nudes are great for those times when you don’t want to detract from your eye makeup, or sometimes I feel like a warm nude just warms up my whole face!

6. annie says:

Ooooh you gotta try Dior’s Addict in Nude. Seems like it would be what you’d be looking for. Oh MAC’s High Tea if you don’t mind a little shimmer. :)

7. Brittany says:

Dropping by to let you know I tagged you in the ‘Top 10′ blog award :) Please check my blog for all the information!

I love your mirror shot!!! Glamour queen. :P

Love the lip combo you created here. My favourite nudes are MAC Shy Girl (for a nude peach) and Chanel Ming Rouge Allure Laque (for a nude pink). I love a glossy nude lip, too, so I usually wear a gloss on top.

;) Sometimes I get surprised but what I see on the memory stick after I’m done snapping a bazillion photos for a post. I am going to check Ming out, I have heard of that one before and it’s always positive!

oh u want me to go out and get freckletone! which was on my list but i think i ddint like the finish..is it a frost or something.. i dont know mac lippies very well! =P
    I love wearing blankety from MAC with Barry M’s Toffee. I also like Revlon’s Soft Nude, and want to try Estee Lauder’s New Nude Velvet! I own Red Velvet and it stays on ALL DAY without a liner

WOW That’s high praise for a lipstick! I need to try that for sure. I don’t own Blankety, but will definitely try it on at MAC next time I am there. Freckletone is a lustre finish, I believe. It’s glossier, but matte in terms of shade.

You look gorgeous, Danielle! Love the mirror shot. ;) I have quite a few perfect nudes, but you know me, I’m always looking for more!

Aww thank you dear! I know, you have found some great nude lipsticks for your skin tone! I don’t think I have seen one that looks bad on you! So lucky!!

wow love this combo on you. and your hair looks fab in the last pic. you know, i dont think i have found my “perfect” nude. i use hue and myth lightly but i still think they are a bit too deathly to be considered my fave

Aww thanks Kelly! Yeah, I can’t wear myth that well. I haven’t tried Hue, but have definitely heard of it. The perfect nude lip seems to be an elusive creature!!

12. Julianne says:

I never wear nude lips; I plain don’t like them, period. With all the beauty gurus I watch on youtube, imo I’ve yet to see someone look prettier with nude lips vs. a brighter shade of lipstick. :)

I hear you Julianne. I know I only prefer nude lips if I’ve done something much more dramatic with my eyes…and sometimes I just want a nude lip randomly. But mostly, I think brighter, cheerier shades are prettier.

13. Candace says:

There’s nothing like the perfect nude lipstick! I really like the layering you’ve done here as well :) my favourite nude lipstick I’ve found so far is Sleek’s Barely There Lipstick from their True Colour range. If you’re doing a UK swap soon, I’d recommend trying it out!