Happy Friday ladies! The weekend is upon us, first weekend in awhile where I don’t have some event to go to, which means I’ll be getting plenty of sun and R&R.

I wanted to take a moment to talk about beauty on a budget. It’s where I, and many other beauty bloggers/fanatics got our start. You will notice as you peruse the hundreds of blogs out there (by the way, thanks for stopping to read mine) that most of us feature more items in the mid to high end price range than from the drugstore. And while it’s fair to say I like (love) several items I have bought from department stores and Sephora, the drugstore items that are available are just as good. Sure, the packaging may not always be the most eye-catching but what about the good stuff that lies beneath?

All Drugstore: base and face

For most of my early makeup years, drugstore items suited me just fine. And while the occasional luxury item is certainly to be appreciated and treasured, I don’t want all you ladies out there to feel like you have to have and spend gobs of cash to achieve a great makeup look. A good friend of mine who works in fashion once said to me “Show me a lady who can go to Goodwill and pick up a few pieces, put it together and look fantastic and you will show me great fashion sense. Show me a lady who purchases what’s on the mannequin at Macy’s, and you will show me someone who knows how to copy great fashion sense.” I think this can apply to makeup as well. It’s about creating something for yourself, finding little bargains (and treasures) and putting something together that is uniquely you. I guess what I want to say, is that just because I may show a high end or pricier item on my blog that I love, doesn’t mean you have to run out and get it. Take what I loved about the product and challenge yourself to find something that fits into your budget. Obviously, when I recommend something, it’s for a reason. But, who’s to say you won’t find the next best thing….at half the price? ;)

More Drugstore Madness!

It is with that spirit that I write this post. Does it mean I won’t continue to indulge in mid and high end makeup? Of course not. I am at heart, a lover of beauty and that love extends to trying out as many things as I can…in hopes that I can share with you the hits and misses along the way. My first thought whenever I see a new product released is “Where can I find a cheaper alternative?” Because, in all honesty the second best thing to finding a great beauty item, is finding a great beauty item for a bargain.

Finishing Touches

So I challenged myself to go back to my roots and do my makeup entirely from the drugstore. And so I did. The items pictured above are what I used. It’s just what I happened to have. Look through what you’ve got, don’t feel the urge to buy something new. Half the fun is re-discovering what you already own!

The Swatches:

Face Products

Swatches L-R:

Eye Products

Swatches L-R:

The Finished Look:

100% drugstore EOTD

All drugstore FOTD

If I didn’t tell you, would you have guessed this was all drugstore? ;)

It’s not pictured in the swatches, but it’s in with the products show at the top…but my lipgloss I’m wearing is Maybelline Shine Sensational in Sweet Indulgence.

What are some of your favorites from the drugstore? I’d love to see your all drugstore looks so do share!

13 Responses to “Beauty on a Budget: Full Face Edition”

1. Amy says:

hey there. No I definitely would not have thought these were drugstore makeup items unless u told us. I am going to try really hard to remember this post when I’m about to buy something at sephora…put it down and realize I have to be able to find something the same or close to the same at the drugstore. Great post :)

Thanks Amy! Yeah, it’s all about choosing those higher end purchases more wisely and being a bit pickier when it comes to shelling out a lot of cash for a makeup item.

awww you look so sweet in the last photo! drugstores def do have a few gems and even though I love collecting high end make up, I get just as excited for the new chanel collection as maybelline and on my dressing table my shu uemura items sit right next to just as love revlon. Bargain beauty dosent mean bad quality, you may have to dig harder, but some of the items you highlighted are great for the price. I love PF bronzers too! the elf blush looks just like the YSL fuscia blush i was staring at all night!

My full face would be: Revlon fotoready or boujois foundation, loreal concealer, maybelline quads or revlon singles, revlon color stay pencils, or milani liquidy pens, milani blushes, PF bronzers, and revlon lippes, maybe some rimmels =)

I LOVE the message of this post! I think that the value of less expensive items can often get lost in the hype over MAC and other high end products. This post is helpful and meaningful! Well done girl! (I especially love the quote about Goodwill!)

Thanks Jessica! It’s so easy to get lost in hype, so it’s nice to take a step back and just think about the reason why you are purchasing something, versus getting just because someone else told you to and whatnot. I like my mid/high end things, but I have found some drugstore items that really rival or are better than what I have bought at MAC or Sephora. It’s just a matter of finding them ;)

Whoa! So lovely!

It’s been a while since I’ve used drugstore blush. The only thing I use now from the drugstore is mascara and lipstick. I’m a bit of a snob. :P Not to say that there aren’t any amazing products from drugstore, but I just like my luxurious high end products. :)

I like my high end things too. Particularly powder blush. It’s rare I find a powder blush I like from the drugstore….except Sonia Kashuk ;)

5. You look gorgeous!!! Love the blush especially!
    I too am a bit of a snob when it comes to drugstore. I love drugstore mascara and lipsticks, some eyeshadows(some Canadian brands are great!) but that’s about it. Since I am a bit older that the average beauty blogger, I find that sometimes that drugstore makeup doesn’t work as well for me, especially when it comes to things like foundation and blush. The textures make a difference when you’re starting to deal with aging issues. But, maybe I just haven’t looked hard enough! ;)

Aww, thanks Tracy! I know, it really comes down to skin type and looking a bit more and you can usually find some great items. :)

6. iliana says:

The cream blush is lovely and you look gorgeous!x

7. There’s nothing better than the feeling of finding a true drugstore gem :)

I really like the look of the ELF cream blush.

That’s the truth! It’s highly pigmented and has an odd consistency. You should give one a go, they are pretty cool!