Hi ladies! It’s been a busy week for me so I’ve not had time to do a proper post in a few days. To fill the void in the mean time I wanted to share my comparisons of MAC’s newest collection of the only thing I purchased from it… Gem of Roses lipstick. The Semi Precious Collection didn’t interest me at all. It’s not surprising since I’m not a huge fan of MAC’s mineralize line in general. There are a few exceptions to that rule, like usual, but mostly it’s just not for me.

The Contenders

Yeah, sorry about the finger-printy Guerlain tube… obviously didn’t see that through the lens :) I went through my collection of lippies and pulled out what I believe are the closest things that I own to Gem of Roses.

The Contenders:

L-R: Guerlain Georgia, Korres Natural Purple, MAC Gem of Roses, Rimmel Rose Blush, Buxom Bombay

Guerlain has a similar tone, but is not as sheer or as glossy as the lustre finish of Gem of Roses. Natural Purple is too brown/mauve and not pink enough although the formula is quite similar. Rimmel’s Rose Blush is closest in terms of shade and texture but has sparkle (hard to detect here and not terribly noticeable in real life) but the formula and scent is different. I much prefer the smell of the MAC one. I’m not sure what the Rimmel one smells like, but it’s rather odd (not too off-putting, but worth noting). On the lips, Rimmel’s shimmer is more apparent and ends up giving it a slightly frosty look as opposed to the general shininess of MAC. Buxom is too matte and too pigmented to be considered for dupe-dom, but if you like the overall tone and shade of Gem of Roses you will probably enjoy Bombay as it’s matte sister. Overall, if you are searching for a Gem of Roses look alike, Rimmel’s Rose Blush will get you pretty close. And, best of all you can easily find it at the drugstore and probably on sale :)

For good measure, I had to show you what Gem of Roses looks like on, of course:

Wearing Gem of Roses lipstick

I am happy with my purchase. MAC rarely lets me down in the lipstick department (if ever, really) and Gem of Roses proves to be more unique than one would think initially…at least in my collection. But, for those on a budget or if you missed out on the now sold-out shade definitely check out the Rimmel version the next time you visit the drugstore.

Did you purchase anything from Semi Precious? What’s a shade of lipstick you can’t live without?

21 Responses to “Special Gem or Simple Rose?”

This is lovely on you! I didn’t get a darn thing from Semi-Precious, but now I almost wish I had gotten this lipstick!

I have a few lipsticks I couldn’t live without: MAC Vegas Volt, Creme Cup, and even though I only got it yesterday, I already know I can’t live without NARS Dolce Vita. =)

Thanks! ;) oooh! We are on the same wavelength, probably because of J.! She convinced me I needed Dolce Vita Lipstick and blush so those are on the way to me right now! Totally agree on Vegas Volt and Creme Cup too!

2. Rai says:

The lipstick looks gorgeous on you!

3. Jacquelyn says:

So helpful you did the swatch comparisons with MAC Gem of Roses. I got it today and it is a gorgeous shade!

No problem! I love doing comp swatches because frequently that’s what I’m looking for! It’s lovely!

4. Delyteful Speaks says:

Yet another very helpful and amazing swatches..

Gem of Roses looks like a beautiful everyday shade.. I think I like it more than ever hip

5. Hanna says:

Gem of Roses looks beautiful on you! I picked up the lipstick also, but on darker pigmented lips the color looks different than swatched….more rosey and closer to my natural lip color. Hopefully in the sun it will look better. I want to love it.

Aww, I hope you do end up loving it! Yeah, it’s lustre so it might not work for everyone. Fortunately or unfortunately I have muted lips so it works for me. Maybe with a liner it would be better for you?

6. Alex says:

Gorgeous! It looks a lot nicer and more coral-toned than I imagined. Kinda sad to have missed it!

7. alexia says:

I happened across your blog while looking up gem of roses, and saw your dupe from rimmel. I bought it and I also went to the MAC counter and swatched it next to gem of roses. Amazing, they are almost exact, if not exact. Must confess I still bought gem of roses, but now I have an inexpensive dupe if I run out. Thanks!

Thanks Alexia! Glad to know it wasn’t just my eyes that think they are really close! They are both such pretty shades!

8. [...] from Bloomin’ Beauty serves up her dupes for MAC Gem of Roses lipstick from the Semi Precious [...]

Gems of roses looks amazing on u!! beautiful name, haha I dont think I even have a favorite lipstick, theyre not really my favorite make up item ( i say this while i own FAR too many for a person who claims the above! =P)

10. Kelly says:

I haven’t checked to see if my MAC has Gem of Roses yet (probably not though :( ) and so it’s good to know that there’s a comparable shade with Rimmel! Thanks for the helpful post :)

11. alixia says:

I bought Gem of Roses but I’m very tired if this wonderful lipstick goes out (and it will =( ). Because of this I was very happy to see that you found a dupe! So I checked out where I can get Rose Blush from Rimmel but I can’t find it anywhere. Even at their homepage is no lipstick with this name. Only found “Rose Sorbet”, is it the same with a new name? Or did you find a dupe which isn’t available anymore?

Hi Alixia! Thanks for stopping by!

I’m in the U.S. and I think sometimes brands don’t offer the same colors (or change the names) of products by region or country. Rose Blush is currently available in the U.S. and is on the Rimmel website here: http://www.rimmellondon.com/us/en/products/moisture-renew-lipstick-spf-18/ But it’s totally possible they don’t have that shade available in Germany. I wish I could be more help, but I bet if you contacted Rimmel, they may be able to help you find the matching shade in the European line :)

• alixia says:

Oh that’s right, I thought they have the same products in the U.S. as in the U.K. and just looked there. But now I see it isn’t like this.. Uhm.. I’m comparing the colours of the lipsticks on their website and I don’t think that our Rose Sorbet is similar to your Rose Blush. But perhaps the 200 Latino, which is available in Europe, could be a colour next to Rose Blush.. Next time in store I’ll try it :)