27. 06. 2011

Ever wonder why some colors attract you more than others? Like Gold, for instance? Anything in the makeup world that is gold usually (if only temporarily) attracts my attention. I think it’s gold’s sparkly nature and light-reflecting qualities that make it impossible to ignore. It’s as if it says “I am gold, and you will look at me and revel in my glory.” It surely must be true. So then, having decided that I am slightly addicted to all things gold in beauty, I sat down to gather a few of pieces of golden delight.

L-R: China Glaze 5 Golden Rings, Revlon Gold Coin, China Glaze Mignight Kiss, China Glaze Lighthouse

Gold kissed fingertips are the easiest way to incorporate this metal into your life. It looks chic and sparkly, but not over the top. There are different levels of gold polish, like anything. From the more yellow variety (like Lighthouse) to the more antiqued shades (like Gold Coin). All are equally fabulous.

Clockwise from top: Urban Decay Greed, Victoria's Secret Sparkle 24K, Sonia Kashuk Gold Pencil, Milani Drenched in Gold*

My favorite way to wear gold is definitely on the eyes. The Sonia Kashuk pencil (part of a set from Target) is great and pigmented and lasts forever on my eyes. I am pretty impressed with Milani’s Drenched in Gold baked shadow. It’s not the typical gold shadow, especially from the drugstore. It is pigmented and leans more yellow, which I prefer. Most golds I come across are too brassy or too dark. I like a nice yellow gold, especially for the eyes. Greed is nice, but was a bit of a let down for me if I’m being honest. It wasn’t as pigmented as I had hoped. I still use it and it does enhance gold shadows quite nicely, or adds a little gold undertone to other shades. VS 24kt sparkle shadow is a bit of a rogue. Sometimes I like it, other times I hate it. It has fall out issues and isn’t pigmented. It’s quite a sparkly gold without being glittery. I find it’s a nice topper for that super sparkle look for going out or parties. Only problem is on it’s own it doesn’t last all day on me.

L-R: Sonia Kashuk Gold, Victoria's Secret 24kt, Milani Drenched in Gold*, UD Greed Primer Potion

L-R: VS Spotlight Lipstick, Laura Geller City Lights, Stila 24kt Golden Charm

I love adding a bit of golden gloss to the center of my lips just to catch the light. Laura Geller City Lights ranks among my top favorite glosses ever. I first discovered it’s awesomeness on a trip to Vegas, and it’s always been a staple for me since. It’s worth noting this lipgloss smells like watermelon which I adore. But if you dislike fruity scents, you may want to steer clear. Stila’s gloss is darker and a bit more obvious, but no less pretty for sure. The Victoria’s Secret lipstick is sheer, but is nice to layer. It’s more of a champagne gold.

L-R: Victorias Secret Spotlight, Laura Geller City Lights, Stila 24kt Golden Charm

L-R: ELF Giddy Gold, LORAC face & body shimmer

Although not an everyday thing for me, gold on the cheeks is a fun way to play up a tan or add some dimension to your face. ELF recently came out with this new Studio Line “Blush” shade (not really a blush, it’s a highlight shade for most skin tones) that has a peachy-gold look to it. This LORAC one came in a palette I purchased off Hautelook last summer, I removed it from the palette because I liked it so much more than the other items in it. They both add a nice golden sheen to the face or body. I find them both smooth as well, not glittery or gritty.

L-R: ELF Giddy Gold, LORAC face & body shimmer

How about you girls? Do you live a slightly gilded makeup life? Share your favorite gold items below, I am always on the lookout for new and fabulous shades.

*this item was provided to me for consideration by PR.

26 Responses to “Goldrush.”

1. Donna says:

I haven’t found any ELF Products I really like but that Giddy Gold looks pretty awesome!

Donna- True, ELF can be hit and miss for me too. Giddy Gold is fun. You should definitely check it out.

Just incredible swatches @.@ you are making my eyes dazzle!! incredibly enough i love that VS gloss u swatched!!!

3. River says:

Love the lipglosses!

I’m not much of a gold girl – doesn’t seem to suit me very much. Purples my thing…anything purple and I have to get it. haha.

I love gold! I used to be a silver girl, but I think gold is so much classier so I made the switch! My favorite gold nail polish is definitely OPI Glitzerland. My skin tone leans a little cool, and Glitzerland is perfect because it’s not too warm! My favorite gold eyeshadows are Urban Decay’s Half Baked and Suspect. My eyes have gold flecks in them so I love to play them up with gold whenever I can. =D I definitely think I need that Lorac shimmer!

I tend to prefer Silver jewelery to regular gold. But with makeup, I definitely prefer gold because of the warmth. Gold flecked eyes? Totally jealous of you! Half Baked is a gorg shadow!

ELF’s Giddy Gold looks beautiful! I’ve never seen that one before!

I know! It’s pretty new, not sure when it released…maybe a month or so ago? But yeah, it’s quite pretty!

6. Kelly says:

mmm i love golds too. i recently did a swap for mac’s blonde’s gold pigment. its really nice. not too sparkly yet not too matte to make it flat. very wearable. i love the sephora by opi polish in only gold for me. super fun glitter! i also love orly lux…but i bet it is really similar to revlon’s gold coin…

Thanks for the polish recs Kelly! You know how we both are with polishes ;) Oh, blonde’s gold sounds so pretty. *goes to look up swatches*

7. Kelly says:

Gold shadow is gone of my favorites too! It does a great job at toning down darker colors and brightening them up for daytime!

Kelly- Yes, totally agree. You can’t go wrong with gold, it’s a go-to day or night shade for sure!

8. Betty says:

Everything looks so pretty and sparkly!
    I don’t own a lot of gold products, but I like Revlon’s Luxurious eyeliner in Antiqued Gold, the gold shade on WnW Vanity palette, and Urban Decay’s Half Baked.
    You have so many great selections!

9. Ebru says:

I love the Sonia Kashuk gold and Milani drenched in gold, wowzaaa! Really enjoyed your post, color themed posts are among my faves! :) I just use whatever gold I have in my eye palettes, for nail polish I adore OPI’s Glitzerland!

Thanks girl :) I do too! I kind of want to do some other color themed ones now as this was a lot of fun to do! *goes to look up glitzerland swatches*

10. Tiffany says:

Ooo, that elf “blush” looks really pretty actually! Did you order online or were you able to find it at Target? I also really like UD Greed, although I’m not sure I’d use it enough to justify buying it. Do you have Sephora by OPI’s Looks Like Rain Dear nail polish? It’s a SUPER glittery gold – I love it for the holidays :)

Oooh thanks for the rec. on that polish! I don’t have it, I will have to see if I can track it down somehow! I had to order the blush online, though I did look at Target twice before doing so. I hope they go into stores soon! Greed is pretty, and I do use it, but most days I just use regular PP.

11. Sabrina says:

“I love GOOOOLDDDD” *in my Goldmember voice* Seriously though, my first time falling in love with an eyeshadow was when I started wearing True Gold by bareMinerals. I seriously wore that everyday until one of my co-workers gave me the “talk”. Haha.
    Great post

12. Julianne says:

My 2 FAVE gold cosmetic products are super inexpensive (they total only $4!!!)

Lip gloss: Mary Kate & Ashley liquid lip color in the shade Truly. Although sticky, it is high shine & beautiful over a lipstick to add that golden shimmer…beware, it’s very pigmented & you only need a touch!! ($3 at Walmart).

eyeshadow: LA Colors mineral eyeshadow single in the shade Gold (talc free). It is soft, buildable, & the perfect shade of gold with the perfect level of shimmer, not an easy feat!..it’s a beautiful lid color, or you can swipe along your cheekbones for a pretty golden highlight. ($1 at Dollar Tree)…for 2.3 grams of product!!

Thanks Julianne! I have added those to my must-try list! I love gold and I love a good bargain. So glad you shared! :)

13. Justine says:

Delayed comment on this post but.. Giddy Gold needs to be in my life..it’s beeeeautiful.

14. Samantha Lee says:

Hi! It is a lovely swatch, thank you! And a good read.
    btw, how does it compare to nars luster blush? Does the color remind you of it, or is it just me?

15. […] makeup and finding shades of the same vein and putting them together for photographs. I have done gold, teal, and rose gold in the past. A current color favorite of mine is the not quite blue, not quite […]