Greetings fellow beauty lovers! Today I bring a special post, all about highlighters. I was not able to swatch everything in my collection, but I did try to pick the most popular or most readily available items so that you can see what many of them look like compared to one another. For most of them I am including a flash and a natural light photo. The natural light really washes them out on camera I think, so bear that in mind. The flash versions are more accurate representations of what the colors look like, but I did it for posterity’s sake anyway :). This is going to be a picture heavy post!

Liquid/Cream Highlighters

NARS Gold Member

Natural Light L-R: Sonia Kashuk Sheer Shimmering Highlight, Stila All Over Shimmer #3, Benefit High Beam, Smashbox Artificial Light in Flash

L-R: MAC CCB Pearl, MAC CCB Shell, MAC CCB Hush, Sephora Luminous Glow

Natural Light L-R: MAC CCB Pearl, MAC CCB Shell, MAC CCB Hush, Sephora Luminous Glow

L-R: UD Urbanglow Sin, UD Urbanglow Wicked, MUFE Uplight #32, MUFE Uplight #33

Natural Light L-R: UD Urbanglow Sin, UD Urbanglow Wicked, MUFE Uplight #32, MUFE Uplight #33

ELF All Over Color Sticks L-R: Persimmon, Lilac Petal, Golden Peach, Spotlight

L-R: Precriptives Sheen Cream in Beam, NARS Illuminator in Copacabana, Mark Touch & Glow, NARS Illuminator in Orgasm

The above pictures represent my favorite kind of highlight–liquid/cream. I just think it always look so much more luminous and dewy when you use a liquid. I reach for a liquid or cream highlighter daily, while powder highlighters are much less frequently used, maybe a handful of times a month if that. I am still lusting after a few more of the MUFE Uplights (they are $29 each at Sephora.com) but I am waiting for them to arrive in Sephora (mid-May I have been told) so I can swatch. I am also lemming the infamous Jemma Kidd Dewy Glow in Rose Gold., but haven’t indulged yet because, as you can see, I have enough to deal with at the moment in the way of cream highlighters. A few of these items may be difficult to find, and although I tried not to include such items, I did so so that if you do find them that you snatch them up! Prescriptives Sheen Cream has long been discontinued, but has remained for about 3 years a favorite of mine. If they still sold it, I would buy several. Sonia Kashuk’s liquid highlighter is new for spring this year, but has been notoriously difficult to find. I was told by the company you will see more soon, but they had a problem with the manufacturer. Sephora’s luminous glow is also a cherished favorite of mine, but it has also been discontinued! I wanted to include some pictures of the items that are not as popular so that you know what they look like if you find them:

Sephora Luminous Glow

Mark Touch & Glow Cream

The unique thing about the Mark product is that you can use each of the colors separately and you have 9 colors to use. Or you can swirl them together to get the peachy bronze effect I got in the swatch (it appears darker in the swatch than it is in person). Plus this is more like a cream-to-powder product.

Cream/Liquid Wrap up:

1. Grab a Prescriptives Sheen Cream or Sephora Luminous Glow if you ever find one
  2. The budget buys are the ELF All Over Color Sticks at just $1 and they are very lovely (I would choose the sticks over the liquids they offer as the liquids get quite frosty)
  3. The MUFE Uplights I have are the sparkling version. If you don’t like glitter, you won’t like this version. I plan to try the pearl versions next.
  4. My newest favorite is NARS Copacabana. I ordered it in stick version as well because I like it so much. Smashbox Artificial Light in Flash is equally gorgeous and ranks quite high for me. It was one of my first highlighters.
  5. MAC Cream Colour Bases are very natural looking and an afforable and easily available option. I use these so much!
  6. I love mixing the Sonia Kashuk one with my foundation, and have been doing this almost daily since receiving it.

Powders:

L-R: ELF Golden Bronzer, Too Faced Peach Leopard, Anastasia Brow Highlight (mixed), Benefit Georgia

L-R: Tarina Tarantino Sparklicity Pure, The Body Shop Brush on Radiance Beads, Guerlain Meteorites Beige Chic

Clockwise from Top: Guerlain Meteorites Beige Chic, Tarina Tarantino Sparklicity Pure, The Body Shop Brush on Radiance Beads

Natural Light L-R: TheBalm Mary-Lou Manizer, Lorac Perfectly Lit in Spotlight, MAC MSF Refined

The Body Shop Shimmer Waves in Peach

The Body Shop Shimmer Waves in Peach

Natural Light L-R: Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Vegas Strip & Miami Strip, Bobbi Brown Shimmerbrick Platinum Pink, Dior Amber Diamond

Powder Wrap up:

1. Guerlain Meteorites are a waste of money–at least the shade I got. It barely shows up on my skin and has that old lady smell that some Guerlain products have (I don’t enjoy it-the primer smells better than this). I don’t think I would ever buy another one. Mine was a smaller size that came in a set. Thank goodness, because in the 2 years I have owned I have used it MAYBE once. Yeah, I give it a big F-.  Sorry if you like them, it just didn’t highlight AT ALL for me.
  2. The two Body Shop products are great. I love the Peach Shimmer Waves so much. I believe it was LE for last year, but if you can find it..grab it up!
  3. Lorac Perfectly Lit and Mary-Lou Manizer are wonderful highlighters, and are so natural looking for being powders. Lorac just gives me this ethereal glow that I love so much, it is in my top 5 for sure!
  4. Benefit Georgia is nice, but very very subtle on my skintone. On the other hand, Tarina Tarantino is super sparkly. You must use it with a light hand but for special events or nights out it is gorgeous!
  5. In person, Vegas Strip and Dior Amber Diamond are almost dupes. The texture is different, but I am not sold on the hype of Amber Diamond yet. It may be going back to Sephora! For the price, it just isn’t that different or special to me. :(  I am, however still interested in trying Rose Diamond and the other limited edition shade if I can track it down.
  6. Bobbi Brown Shimmerbrick is also nothing to write home about. Platinum Pink is a LE shade, but I would be interested in trying another. I will probably pick one up the next time I am at my CCO (much cheaper that way). They are worth the CCO price, but I don’t think I would ever pay full price for one.

Well, that is probably my biggest and longest post ever! I am a total highlighter addict and I am always searching for more! What are your thoughts? Are you a cream/liquid fan or do you prefer powders? What highlighters do you own that are your favorite?

18 Responses to “An Epic Highlighter Post!”

1. Lady says:

wow!!! this was amazing! thanks so much for posting these!!! now i can go back to this great repository!

2. River says:

Interesting post, I’ve never used highlighters too much before. So I learnt alot, thanks!

3. amazing! this is such a huge list of highlighters! I’ve never even used a highlighter before :x must try!

I LOVE this post! I’ve been branching out in the highlighter and bronzer department, and this definitely gives me quite a bit to think about. Your blog is always such a great source of diverse and creative swatches (case in point the mix and match post).

Thanks, Danielle!

5. 25FLONDON says:

Great post & (millions of) swatches xDD It’s probably already obvious, but I love a post with photographs showing every angle of something, (as long as each one shows me something different & relevant!) so your post is so, so handy for that. If I ever need a highlight, I know where to go!

I don’t love the blue-silvery highlighters on me so much, so I’ll be skipping those for sure. I have a soft spot for Amber Diamond because it was a gift, but like you I don’t think it’s the be-all & end-all, although unlike you I do love the glowy effect it gives me & wouldn’t do without it! & I’m waiting to receive Dewy Glow so I’ll be sure to do a full review/kill or possibly further ignite your interest in it xD

I love the peachy/bronze shades, like Vegas Strip, Lorac Perfectly Lit, Peach Leopard (looks lovely) Touch & Glow, Golden Peach & Shell – all things I don’t already own, so straight onto my look-for-these list.

& to end a huge reply, it’s funny how nice Copacabana looks on you considering how lackluster it looks on me! I should probably dig it out & give it another go, just in case it likes my tanned skinned better :D

• I am glad you found all the swatches helpful. It took me ages to take the photos and then sort through them all to decide ultimately which ones to post (isn’t that such a pain sometimes?)
      I cannot wait to see your opinion of dewy glow, as I have been interested for some time, but have never found a decent swatch picture of it ever! I know that will change once it gets in your hands ;)
      The Copacabana illuminator may be different from the stick formula? Not sure about that though.

• 25FLONDON says:

Yeh, it’s shocking isn’t it?! I took 102 for one product today ‘:D Am only going to use maybe 5-6, so have to chose from multiple versions of each of shot.

Yeh, I don’t know why no-one has any good photos/reviews of Dewy Glow so far! Confusing, especially seeing as it was sold out everywhere for such a long time after Pixiwoo talked about it. Ah, that must be it. Or just generally, Copacabana doesn’t do as much for me as a warmer shade would.

6. Jo says:

Oh no i just got halfway through a huge comment and i lost it!! I hate it when that happens!!
    Anyways i was saying that i love this post becuase i too love highlighters!! I never got the big deal with Amber Diamond, partially becuase it was too dark for me and i could only use the lightest end as a highlight, but i also just didn’t think it was that special. I dropped mine on the floor and was more upset about the mess it made of the tiles than the fact i’d lost it forever!!

My favourite powder highlighter always goes back to Soft & Gentle MSF because it’s so easy to put on in a rush and i think difficult to overdo. I quite like MAC cremre colour base in pearl for days when i wear cream blush or am avoiding powder, but i’m not totally in love with it. I think NARS cocacabana is next on my list as it looks likes a softer version of High Beam (which i find takes too much time to blend in so as not to look like i’ve painted my cheeks with varnish as i’m runnning out of the door!).

Love looking at all the swatches tho, i’m at work right now but will hvae to have a closer look tonight and see what else i may add to my to-highlight list!!

Jo :) x

• Thanks Jo! I agree with you about High Beam, I don’t care for it all that much sadly. It just doesn’t suit my skin tone. And while Amber Diamond is lovely, it just isn’t holy grail material for me like it is for so many others. I thought I was missing something by not bringing it home and giving it a go, but maybe it is just my taste! I will have to look out for Soft & Gentle at my CCO. It sounds lovely!

• Jo says:

Yes do swatch it – it’s nothing special and certainly not as pretty as some of the other highlighters here, but just so eeeeeeaassy! :)

Ah! This post was amazing. It’s like the Bible of highlighters. My highlighter stash is pathetically small so I can’t wait to add some of these goodies to my collection! =D

• Aww, thanks Kayla! I have been collecting highlighters for quite awhile, so it definitely takes time to build a collection! Can’t wait to see which ones you end up getting and liking! :)

8. Lauren says:

Super helpful post! I’ve always been a little afraid of highlighters, but your swatches were great! I think I might branch out and start trying more of them. Love your blog!

Aw, that’s so sweet of you to say, thank you! Highlighters can be really amazing. I don’t prefer glitter ones, as I find they aren’t super flattering for me. But highlighters in general are a great beauty product to have in your arsenal. Can’t wait to check out your blog too!