Greetings fellow beauty lovers! Today I bring a special post, all about highlighters. I was not able to swatch everything in my collection, but I did try to pick the most popular or most readily available items so that you can see what many of them look like compared to one another. For most of them I am including a flash and a natural light photo. The natural light really washes them out on camera I think, so bear that in mind. The flash versions are more accurate representations of what the colors look like, but I did it for posterity’s sake anyway :). This is going to be a picture heavy post!
NARS Gold Member
L-R: Sonia Kashuk Sheer Shimmering Highlight, Stila All Over Shimmer #3, Benefit High Beam, Smashbox Artificial Light in Flash
Natural Light L-R: Sonia Kashuk Sheer Shimmering Highlight, Stila All Over Shimmer #3, Benefit High Beam, Smashbox Artificial Light in Flash
L-R: MAC CCB Pearl, MAC CCB Shell, MAC CCB Hush, Sephora Luminous Glow
Natural Light L-R: MAC CCB Pearl, MAC CCB Shell, MAC CCB Hush, Sephora Luminous Glow
L-R: UD Urbanglow Sin, UD Urbanglow Wicked, MUFE Uplight #32, MUFE Uplight #33
Natural Light L-R: UD Urbanglow Sin, UD Urbanglow Wicked, MUFE Uplight #32, MUFE Uplight #33
ELF All Over Color Sticks L-R: Persimmon, Lilac Petal, Golden Peach, Spotlight
L-R: Precriptives Sheen Cream in Beam, NARS Illuminator in Copacabana, Mark Touch & Glow, NARS Illuminator in Orgasm
The above pictures represent my favorite kind of highlight–liquid/cream. I just think it always look so much more luminous and dewy when you use a liquid. I reach for a liquid or cream highlighter daily, while powder highlighters are much less frequently used, maybe a handful of times a month if that. I am still lusting after a few more of the MUFE Uplights (they are $29 each at Sephora.com) but I am waiting for them to arrive in Sephora (mid-May I have been told) so I can swatch. I am also lemming the infamous Jemma Kidd Dewy Glow in Rose Gold., but haven’t indulged yet because, as you can see, I have enough to deal with at the moment in the way of cream highlighters. A few of these items may be difficult to find, and although I tried not to include such items, I did so so that if you do find them that you snatch them up! Prescriptives Sheen Cream has long been discontinued, but has remained for about 3 years a favorite of mine. If they still sold it, I would buy several. Sonia Kashuk’s liquid highlighter is new for spring this year, but has been notoriously difficult to find. I was told by the company you will see more soon, but they had a problem with the manufacturer. Sephora’s luminous glow is also a cherished favorite of mine, but it has also been discontinued! I wanted to include some pictures of the items that are not as popular so that you know what they look like if you find them:
Sephora Luminous Glow
Mark Touch & Glow Cream
The unique thing about the Mark product is that you can use each of the colors separately and you have 9 colors to use. Or you can swirl them together to get the peachy bronze effect I got in the swatch (it appears darker in the swatch than it is in person). Plus this is more like a cream-to-powder product.
Cream/Liquid Wrap up:
- Grab a Prescriptives Sheen Cream or Sephora Luminous Glow if you ever find one
- The budget buys are the ELF All Over Color Sticks at just $1 and they are very lovely (I would choose the sticks over the liquids they offer as the liquids get quite frosty)
- The MUFE Uplights I have are the sparkling version. If you don’t like glitter, you won’t like this version. I plan to try the pearl versions next.
- My newest favorite is NARS Copacabana. I ordered it in stick version as well because I like it so much. Smashbox Artificial Light in Flash is equally gorgeous and ranks quite high for me. It was one of my first highlighters.
- MAC Cream Colour Bases are very natural looking and an afforable and easily available option. I use these so much!
- I love mixing the Sonia Kashuk one with my foundation, and have been doing this almost daily since receiving it.
L-R: ELF Golden Bronzer, Too Faced Peach Leopard, Anastasia Brow Highlight (mixed), Benefit Georgia
L-R: Tarina Tarantino Sparklicity Pure, The Body Shop Brush on Radiance Beads, Guerlain Meteorites Beige Chic
Clockwise from Top: Guerlain Meteorites Beige Chic, Tarina Tarantino Sparklicity Pure, The Body Shop Brush on Radiance Beads
L-R: TheBalm Mary-Lou Manizer, Lorac Perfectly Lit in Spotlight, MAC MSF Refined
Natural Light L-R: TheBalm Mary-Lou Manizer, Lorac Perfectly Lit in Spotlight, MAC MSF Refined
The Body Shop Shimmer Waves in Peach
The Body Shop Shimmer Waves in Peach
L-R: Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Vegas Strip & Miami Strip, Bobbi Brown Shimmerbrick Platinum Pink, Dior Amber Diamond
Natural Light L-R: Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Vegas Strip & Miami Strip, Bobbi Brown Shimmerbrick Platinum Pink, Dior Amber Diamond
Powder Wrap up:
- Guerlain Meteorites are a waste of money–at least the shade I got. It barely shows up on my skin and has that old lady smell that some Guerlain products have (I don’t enjoy it-the primer smells better than this). I don’t think I would ever buy another one. Mine was a smaller size that came in a set. Thank goodness, because in the 2 years I have owned I have used it MAYBE once. Yeah, I give it a big F-. Sorry if you like them, it just didn’t highlight AT ALL for me.
- The two Body Shop products are great. I love the Peach Shimmer Waves so much. I believe it was LE for last year, but if you can find it..grab it up!
- Lorac Perfectly Lit and Mary-Lou Manizer are wonderful highlighters, and are so natural looking for being powders. Lorac just gives me this ethereal glow that I love so much, it is in my top 5 for sure!
- Benefit Georgia is nice, but very very subtle on my skintone. On the other hand, Tarina Tarantino is super sparkly. You must use it with a light hand but for special events or nights out it is gorgeous!
- In person, Vegas Strip and Dior Amber Diamond are almost dupes. The texture is different, but I am not sold on the hype of Amber Diamond yet. It may be going back to Sephora! For the price, it just isn’t that different or special to me. 🙁 I am, however still interested in trying Rose Diamond and the other limited edition shade if I can track it down.
- Bobbi Brown Shimmerbrick is also nothing to write home about. Platinum Pink is a LE shade, but I would be interested in trying another. I will probably pick one up the next time I am at my CCO (much cheaper that way). They are worth the CCO price, but I don’t think I would ever pay full price for one.
Well, that is probably my biggest and longest post ever! I am a total highlighter addict and I am always searching for more! What are your thoughts? Are you a cream/liquid fan or do you prefer powders? What highlighters do you own that are your favorite?